Famoso TNT - Saturday - February 15th 2014

Here is the place to discuss, announce or advertise local car events or road trips/meetups.

Famoso TNT - Saturday - February 15th 2014

Postby MrCaliKrome » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:41 pm

http://famosoraceway.com/schedule.htm

Anyone else heading up to Famoso for the TNT drags on Saturday? :auto-nx:

As of the time of this post, no gate open times were listed? Anyone know what hours they usually run?

Depending on what time the gates open and how busy these TNT days are, do you regulars have any suggestions as to what time I should show up?
2004 Mystichrome Cobra Terminator
MrCaliKrome
Noob

Re: Famoso TNT - Saturday - February 15th 2014

Postby SVTRonDogg » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:20 pm

172 miles from my current place of residence. Pass... :lol:
Cobra
GT500
Focus ST
SVTRonDogg
First Gear

Postby Brakelate » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:22 pm

SVTRonDogg wrote:172 miles from my current place of residence. Pass... :lol:

Jeeze Ronn. It's 572 miles one way for me, and I'm still a "Maybe"! :lol: Have some grit son!
Brakelate
Third Gear

Postby MrCaliKrome » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:34 pm

SVTRonDogg wrote:172 miles from my current place of residence. Pass... :lol:

It is a haul for probably most.

Sad state of affairs for California. Home of hot rodding and drag racing, yet hardly any tracks for enthusiasts to go to??????
MrCaliKrome
Noob

Postby Tetge » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:30 pm

it is 119 miles each way for me, and, I have made the trip quite a few times. But, then again, I admit to having been addicted to drag racing since before I got my driver's license at age 15. I saw quite a few historic drag races back in the day and most of the strips that I went to and ran at have long since been closed. So, since Famoso is the real deal as far as drag strips go, and since it is not at too high an elevation and since it generally has good prep, it is worth the drive as far as a drag racing junkie is concerned.
Tetge
Fourth Gear

Postby 03_SONIC_BLUR » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:44 pm

Another junkie in to get my fix
03_SONIC_BLUR
First Gear

Postby Brakelate » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:19 pm

Wonder what the Ol Gal would run with the skinnie on front, and the 335 Hoosier DRs on out back for insane grip. What does my Magical Clutch Crystal Ball tell me?

All I need is one pass. If the clutch holds, there would be no chance of tire slip. If there were no breakage, I just might bust the 11.5 barrier, get shut down, be able to kick back and watch and hang out and still make it there and back under my own power. That would be perfect.

Of course, with the mention of these things, it is so easy to get sucked back into the madness; Gotta get 4:10's put back in, rebuild the LSD, throw in a full new clutch... etc. etc. Then go out on those Hoosiers and bust out some passes. That would put the Cobra back on the top of my In Love list and perhaps it would allow me to ignore the need I feel to trade it in on a Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Anniversary Edition or some such shit.

:violin:
Brakelate
Third Gear

Postby Tetge » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:09 pm

Brakelate wrote:Wonder what the Ol Gal would run with the skinnie on front, and the 335 Hoosier DRs on out back for insane grip. What does my Magical Clutch Crystal Ball tell me?

All I need is one pass. If the clutch holds, there would be no chance of tire slip. If there were no breakage, I just might bust the 11.5 barrier, get shut down, be able to kick back and watch and hang out and still make it there and back under my own power. That would be perfect.

Of course, with the mention of these things, it is so easy to get sucked back into the madness; Gotta get 4:10's put back in, rebuild the LSD, throw in a full new clutch... etc. etc. Then go out on those Hoosiers and bust out some passes. That would put the Cobra back on the top of my In Love list and perhaps it would allow me to ignore the need I feel to trade it in on a Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Anniversary Edition or some such shit.

:violin:

Trade that sucker in. I know that you will always miss the car, but, reality is reality. I still really miss my Cobra, but, the realities of my situation demanded that I get a car with an auto trans. I also miss my Busa, as it was really a sweet ride. But, again, economic and physical realities, combined with a genuine fear of extended jail time, dictated that I'd be better off overall without it. Of course, over the years I owned a lot of really nice, and now collectable, machines. And, because I was a man of modest means, I had to sell each generation to make room for the next. So, I learned to live with the pain of losing them. It still hurt, but, it is possible to move on. As for a Terminator being, by any stretch of imagination, on par, with some, or any, Jeep? I suppose that depends on where you live and how many road courses and drag strips are in your hood, as opposed to places where a Jeep may actually be the only real answer to getting there. And, with all that said, there really would be no reason to come to Famoso to see if your car could actually crack sub 11.5's, since it would be expensive, and it would mean nothing after the car was gone. We all will concede that you are a talented pilot, and, also, it is not likely that you will better the 10.3 @ 139.xx run, at Famoso, that I personally witnessed you make from the stands at Famoso. And even that run was flawed, and you left something on the table which was perhaps a good thing, since the track officials were poised to toss you out, for no pro license, if you went over 140 or under 10 flat. That bike is long gone, but, the memories should last forever, as would all the many memories of your Terminator. Machines, in my opinion, are only worth owning, if you can exploit them for their capabilities. If you no longer are in a position to do so, unless you are a collector, it is time to move on.

Time for another shameless video that I can not put a price on, since where could you go and pay to do this (and, one of my favorites). And, I just watched it and it still is a favorite. I do have superior speakers for my computer, which helps, but, that was definitely one of those special times that I was talking about, when you have to take advantage and not fold. And, it was also nice that the authorities in Mexico pretty much shut down all traffic for us so that we could play.

But, I have to say, watching the video also made me sad, so now, I have to go fix another Tanquerey rocks to deaden the pain. It seems that the good old days are now departed.

phpBB [video]
Tetge
Fourth Gear

Postby Brakelate » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:04 pm

Tetge wrote:
Trade that sucker in.

Well, even out here in the most inappropriate environment for a crisp running Terminator, some things never seem to change. Like swapping out the front tires due to them internally rupturing the chords due to drastically exceeding their top speed rating for extended periods, and the rears due to them being chorded out and having thrown jawbreaker balls of melted gummy rubber all over the rear quarter panels.

The sound, feel and smell of this particular car never get old.

Then, if I were to trade it in, what would I do with all the extra cash and spare room from clearing out and selling off the massive stockpile of spare parts? From Blowers to shifters to oil pan gaskets, stacks of brake pads, rotors and then there are the numerous sets of wheels and tires, all mounted, balanced and ready to go.

If I were to trade it in, I wonder if the bits I have than enabled me to mount the ultra light and sticky (now with new rubber just mounted and experty balanced out) would allow them to fit on Tetge's Coyote? Or if the massive Drag Radial / Road Race combo I have with 315 Nitto fronts and 335 Hoosiers rear would also fit as easily as bolting them under Sonic_Blur's car? Then there is the road race set of track slave tires and wheels that have been well used.

Hmmmm.

Better still, I wonder if those 335's would fit under the ass of that Coyote. Being able to floor it from the gate and not even consider wheel spin going into second, let alone having the ability to hook immediately and use up the deep first gear on that 5.0's Auto. Now that would be priceless. At least to see if only borrowed for one run .
Brakelate
Third Gear

Postby MrCaliKrome » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:59 am

I will probably always want to believe there will be more "good old days" in the future waiting for me, but it is hard to think that certain "good old days" are gone.

I wish I had more videos of visits to Mexico, Guatamala, and the Congo. :auto-sportbike: You guys have quite a few good vids to keep the moment alive :auto-car:

Hopefully the trip out to Famoso will be a good one :auto-nascar:
MrCaliKrome
Noob

Next

Return to Local Events and Road Trips