Thursday Night Thunder - Irwindale - Jan 9, 2014

Here is the place to discuss, announce or advertise local car events or road trips/meetups.

Thursday Night Thunder - Irwindale - Jan 9, 2014

Postby MrCaliKrome » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:16 am

http://www.irwindalespeedway.com/speedwayschedule.php

:auto-crash: TNT starts Thursday January 9th for the 2014 season.

Anyone else heading out?
2004 Mystichrome Cobra Terminator
MrCaliKrome
Noob

Re: Thursday Night Thunder - Irwindale - Jan 9, 2014

Postby 03_SONIC_BLUR » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:23 pm

Can't do Thursdays without taking off both Thursday and Friday
03_SONIC_BLUR
First Gear

Postby Tetge » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:27 pm

My car is not geared for the 1/8. And, interestingly, neither was my '03 Cobra, even at LACR, when Bernie shut down to the 1/8th due to slippery conditions. Of course, it depends upon gearing and tune, but, I know that the 5.0 slug is a dog to the 1/8th, and I hate to not be able to represent.

And, FYI, I checked and there was an extremely tight relationship between 1/8 ET's and 1/4 ET's worst. They march in syncro so well, that my two worst 1/8th ET for an 11 sec run were directly associated with the two worse 11 sec passes.

7.772 @ 91.35 netted a 10.997 at Fontana, and 7.773 @ 90.32 netted a 11.995 at LACR. So, it would seem that you would need to do a solid 7.7, 1/8th lap @ 90+, at the Dale, due to good DA and prep there, to have any reasonable belief that any kind of 11 sec pass at Famoso will happen. And, if you have stock 3.55 gears, you too will be a bit too tall geared for the 1/8th, as I seem to remember that 3.55's do about 105 @ 6500, so. third is a bit tall for the 1/8th. In fact, those Terminators that have moved their rev limiters up to 7000 RPM, are geared better for the 1000' at WIllow, as they can use all of third on a pass, yet, save a shift to 4th.

Good luck. It will be interesting to read about your experiences at the Dale.
Tetge
Fourth Gear

Postby MrCaliKrome » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:20 am

03_SONIC_BLUR wrote:Can't do Thursdays without taking off both Thursday and Friday

Bummer, that would be taking a lot of vacation time for just a little 1/8 mile racing.
MrCaliKrome
Noob

Postby MrCaliKrome » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:43 am

Tetge wrote:My car is not geared for the 1/8. And, interestingly, neither was my '03 Cobra, even at LACR, when Bernie shut down to the 1/8th due to slippery conditions. Of course, it depends upon gearing and tune, but, I know that the 5.0 slug is a dog to the 1/8th, and I hate to not be able to represent.

I hear you on that. If I wasn't in such need for 60ft work and seat time, I'd probably never consider visiting an 1/8 track, especially with a Terminator.

Tetge wrote:And, FYI, I checked and there was an extremely tight relationship between 1/8 ET's and 1/4 ET's worst. They march in syncro so well, that my two worst 1/8th ET for an 11 sec run were directly associated with the two worse 11 sec passes.

7.772 @ 91.35 netted a 10.997 at Fontana, and 7.773 @ 90.32 netted a 11.995 at LACR. So, it would seem that you would need to do a solid 7.7, 1/8th lap @ 90+, at the Dale, due to good DA and prep there, to have any reasonable belief that any kind of 11 sec pass at Famoso will happen. And, if you have stock 3.55 gears, you too will be a bit too tall geared for the 1/8th, as I seem to remember that 3.55's do about 105 @ 6500, so. third is a bit tall for the 1/8th. In fact, those Terminators that have moved their rev limiters up to 7000 RPM, are geared better for the 1000' at WIllow, as they can use all of third on a pass, yet, save a shift to 4th.

Thanks for the 7.7 @ 90 target! :violence-bowandarrow: As always, I appreciate the specific data to use for comparison!

I'm looking forward to getting some baseline runs which will help me know how much work I have in front of me. :tools-hammerdrill:

:occasion-xmas: Although I'm in no rush for the holidays to be over, I am anxious to get started!
MrCaliKrome
Noob

Postby jhwalker » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:52 am

MrCaliKrome wrote:
Tetge wrote:My car is not geared for the 1/8. And, interestingly, neither was my '03 Cobra, even at LACR, when Bernie shut down to the 1/8th due to slippery conditions. Of course, it depends upon gearing and tune, but, I know that the 5.0 slug is a dog to the 1/8th, and I hate to not be able to represent.

I hear you on that. If I wasn't in such need for 60ft work and seat time, I'd probably never consider visiting an 1/8 track, especially with a Terminator.

Tetge wrote:And, FYI, I checked and there was an extremely tight relationship between 1/8 ET's and 1/4 ET's worst. They march in syncro so well, that my two worst 1/8th ET for an 11 sec run were directly associated with the two worse 11 sec passes.

Thanks for the 7.7 @ 90 target! :violence-bowandarrow: As always, I appreciate the specific data to use for comparison!

I'm looking forward to getting some baseline runs which will help me know how much work I have in front of me. :tools-hammerdrill:

:occasion-xmas: Although I'm in no rush for the holidays to be over, I am anxious to get started!

It would seem to me that your reasons for visiting the 'Dale are to work on your burnout, (too short less hook, too long less hook), your rpm and tire pressure at launch, and the 2-3 shift under real event pressure. This is "basic training" for you, for the guys with hundreds of passes it would be a time waste unless they are having "drag strip fever" and just need a couple of runs. I can't imagine anyone "optomizing" his car for the 1/8 unless it was stated that all 1/4 tracks were being closed. Your car will be, in theory, one of the fast cars at the track except for the "real race cars", and you will run faster than some of them too.

Go practice, have a good time, meet some other folks working on their game. You might need only two visits, 3-4 runs each visit to say "I'm done, nothing left to learn here". Or you might find that it is not all natural for you and your car. And you might find that there are some good folks there, some helpful folks there and you might want to check in from time to time to "sharpen the saw". We can calculate your anticipated 1/4 mile times from your 1/8 times. If you are not getting a good 60' time at the 'Dale, no way will you get a fast time at Famoso.

But most of all, have some fun with that toy. :whistle:

Go
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Postby Brakelate » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:08 am

Outstanding advice from all, leaving me with nothing to add. I guess that is a good thing.
Brakelate
Third Gear

Postby MrCaliKrome » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:34 pm

Well, I'm really grateful for the advice to get some practice runs in at Irwindale.

I could not get the R888s to hook at all.

I had massive wheel hop in first and second all night.

I even lowered the pressure each pass starting from 20 down to 15 psi with no success.

60fts actually got progressively worse through out the night ranging from 2.0-2.2 on the first three passes. The last run of the night I did a "Willow" style "no launch/leave from idle" and it clocked my 60ft at 2.8! LMAO. Even this soft of a launch the car still wheel hopped as soon as I got into any decent throttle. The MPH on that run was 86.

I'll be picking up some rims and tires to go back and get some baseline runs on the different set up.
MrCaliKrome
Noob

Postby jhwalker » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:04 pm

MrCaliKrome wrote:Well, I'm really grateful for the advice to get some practice runs in at Irwindale.

I could not get the R888s to hook at all.

I had massive wheel hop in first and second all night.

I even lowered the pressure each pass starting from 20 down to 15 psi with no success.

60fts actually got progressively worse through out the night ranging from 2.0-2.2 on the first three passes. The last run of the night I did a "Willow" style "no launch/leave from idle" and it clocked my 60ft at 2.8! LMAO. Even this soft of a launch the car still wheel hopped as soon as I got into any decent throttle. The MPH on that run was 86.

I'll be picking up some rims and tires to go back and get some baseline runs on the different set up.

Good for you. Just doing it, and planning to do it again.
:clap:
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Postby 03_SONIC_BLUR » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:10 pm

Get some MT ET Street DR's, stat. Wheel hop will break a half shaft
03_SONIC_BLUR
First Gear

Next

Return to Local Events and Road Trips