Thursday Night Thunder - Irwindale - Jan 9, 2014

Here is the place to discuss, announce or advertise local car events or road trips/meetups.

Re: Thursday Night Thunder - Irwindale - Jan 9, 2014

Postby 03_SONIC_BLUR » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:45 pm

Flywheel - P/N 2R3Z-6375-AA
Clutch Disc
Pressure Plate
Pilot Bearing
Throwout Bearing - P/N M-7548-A
Clutch Cable - P/N 2R3Z-7535-AA

As I find other part numbers, I will update them. These were sitting out handy
03_SONIC_BLUR
First Gear

Postby MrCaliKrome » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:22 am

Thanks for posting the parts numbers.

Tonight if the weather doesn’t interfere I'm going to see if the clutch will hold some launches.

If not, my thought was to pull it apart and throw in some new parts but not sure how I can tell what really needs replacing and what is good?

The flywheel luckily has a replaceable face so just changing that and the Disc would be no issue but how can I confirm the pressure plate is still holding strong?

Also how do I know if the TOB or anything else is good or needs replacing?
2004 Mystichrome Cobra Terminator
MrCaliKrome
Noob

Postby Tetge » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:10 pm

MrCaliKrome wrote:Thanks for posting the parts numbers.

Tonight if the weather doesn’t interfere I'm going to see if the clutch will hold some launches.

If not, my thought was to pull it apart and throw in some new parts but not sure how I can tell what really needs replacing and what is good?

The flywheel luckily has a replaceable face so just changing that and the Disc would be no issue but how can I confirm the pressure plate is still holding strong?

Also how do I know if the TOB or anything else is good or needs replacing?

I did not replace the pilot bearing usually, but all the other stuff should be replaced. The Center Force flywheels that I used could be resurfaced once so I went through several of them. And, yes, as you can figure out from such a statement, I ate numerous clutches drag racing the car. But, it was never towed once the entire time that I owned it.
Tetge
Fourth Gear

Postby MrCaliKrome » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:29 pm

Do you guys know of any local shops that would have the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch in stock?
MrCaliKrome
Noob

Postby Tetge » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:00 pm

MrCaliKrome wrote:Do you guys know of any local shops that would have the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch in stock?

I used to order all my stuff from Summit, including MT DR's. They will match any price that you find on the NET, as long as it is a real site that they can pull up, and they always got the stuff out to me quickly. I found that local shops tended to be expensive (Hawaii Racing is up toward the top of the high price list) and Calif. sales tax was more than shipping, if shipping was not free. I might also add that you really need to break a clutch in before using it hard or it will not last at all, so if you rush to install a clutch and go right out and hammer on it, it will not be good. I know this from experience as I ate up a few new clutches because I had to go racing immediately due to racing fever. I also paid to have things shipped to me overnight, and, since they generally heavy things, this was expensive. But, when the racing fever is upon a person, reasoning sort of disappears along with the money. Fortunately I am now 100% completely cured, and also completely retired from drag racing, but, as with many reformed people, I can caution others about the perils of drag racing.
Tetge
Fourth Gear

Postby jhwalker » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:32 am

Tetge wrote:
MrCaliKrome wrote:Do you guys know of any local shops that would have the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch in stock?

I used to order all my stuff from Summit, including MT DR's. They will match any price that you find on the NET, as long as it is a real site that they can pull up, and they always got the stuff out to me quickly. I found that local shops tended to be expensive (Hawaii Racing is up toward the top of the high price list) and Calif. sales tax was more than shipping, if shipping was not free. I might also add that you really need to break a clutch in before using it hard or it will not last at all, so if you rush to install a clutch and go right out and hammer on it, it will not be good. I know this from experience as I ate up a few new clutches because I had to go racing immediately due to racing fever. I also paid to have things shipped to me overnight, and, since they generally heavy things, this was expensive. But, when the racing fever is upon a person, reasoning sort of disappears along with the money. Fortunately I am now 100% completely cured, and also completely retired from drag racing, but, as with many reformed people, I can caution others about the perils of drag racing.

Good point on the clutch break in. If you are going to install and hammer, just save some time and order two. :-D
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Postby SVTRonDogg » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:08 am

Hawaii Racing

or

https://www.centerforce.com/dealers/dealer-locator
Cobra
GT500
Focus ST
SVTRonDogg
First Gear

Postby MrCaliKrome » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:33 am

Thanks for the suggestions.

I called Ed @ www.EdsSpeedShop.net in Downey (shares shop space with Greg at RET) and amazingly he not only had the Centerforce in stock he also had the bearings and even more surprising he had the replaceable Fidanza flywheel plate!

As always he has great prices and great service.

Clutch was going to go in today, but ran out of time and got to Spot28 late so Warren will have time to help install it Monday.

Centerforce recommends at least 500 miles of regular driving for the break in period. Looks like I will have my work cut out for me before the 15th!
MrCaliKrome
Noob

Postby jhwalker » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:35 am

MrCaliKrome wrote:Thanks for the suggestions.

I called Ed @ http://www.EdsSpeedShop.net in Downey (shares shop space with Greg at RET) and amazingly he not only had the Centerforce in stock he also had the bearings and even more surprising he had the replaceable Fidanza flywheel plate!

Clutch was going to go in today, but ran out of time and got to Spot28 late so Warren will have time to help install it Monday.

Centerforce recommends at least 500 miles of regular driving for the break in period. Looks like I will have my work cut out for me before the 15th!

The Gods are favoring you -- good sign. :-D

The breakin comes from the clutch engaging and disengaging. In spite of the 500 mile "rule", I think I remember spending a couple of hours in a K Mart parking lot doing very gentle 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1-stop- listen to a song you like-go out and sniff - 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1-stop and so on -- Gently, then some low key cruising, shifting more than normal. When the clutch is engaged, you are not breaking it in. Just resist the urge to break them loose. Then a couple more hours just doing normal traffic in town where you have to stop and go. I have NEVER put 500 miles on a clutch before "stressing it".

No problem.

:whistle:
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Postby MrCaliKrome » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:56 am

jhwalker wrote:
MrCaliKrome wrote:Thanks for the suggestions.

I called Ed @ http://www.EdsSpeedShop.net in Downey (shares shop space with Greg at RET) and amazingly he not only had the Centerforce in stock he also had the bearings and even more surprising he had the replaceable Fidanza flywheel plate!

The Gods are favoring you -- good sign. :-D

The breakin comes from the clutch engaging and disengaging. In spite of the 500 mile "rule", I think I remember spending a couple of hours in a K Mart parking lot doing very gentle 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1-stop- listen to a song you like-go out and sniff - 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1-stop and so on -- Gently, then some low key cruising, shifting more than normal. When the clutch is engaged, you are not breaking it in. Just resist the urge to break them loose. Then a couple more hours just doing normal traffic in town where you have to stop and go. I have NEVER put 500 miles on a clutch before "stressing it".

No problem.

:whistle:

Thanks for posting this because I was just thinking how arbitrary 500 miles of breaking in a clutch seems :violence-smack: and shouldn't they just give me a "shift" count to shoot for so I could just focus on the real break in?

Maybe I should just drive up and down Ventura Blvd a couple times and call the clutch broken in???

How will I know when it is safe to hammer it? :violence-hammer:
MrCaliKrome
Noob

PreviousNext

Return to Local Events and Road Trips