NHRA Finals 2014 - I know a guy who knows a guy

Here is the place to discuss, announce or advertise local car events or road trips/meetups.

Re: NHRA Finals 2014 - I know a guy who knows a guy

Postby Tetge » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:47 pm

She had a strong, consistent car, but, she is also a good racer. I know that egos are part of drag racing, but, it seems that the door slammer crowd is the worst when it comes to openly battling between the various personalities. Perhaps this is because all the cars are so close in performance? And, I am sure that it is also part of the cult of personalities and drama that TV likes to promote so that they can expand 5 minutes of racing into 5 hours of coverage. So, I didn't mind Erica winning, at all, but, I could have done without her pushing her religious propaganda onto every single interview. A simple thanks to God, or by the grace of God, etc., would not draw my ire. But, she expanded beyond that at each interview and I think that some things are personal in nature and should be kept that way. It is also true that I believe that Greg Anderson is not faking his dislike of Erica, nor his disgust at being beaten by a woman. I guess that he is going to have to step up his program and right the ship next year?
Tetge
Fourth Gear

Postby 03_SONIC_BLUR » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:14 pm

That's another thing I love about drag racing. No pit strategy to get track position, no ramming another car to gain points, you either have it together each time the light goes green or you lose. The DSR thing with Capps and Johnson smoking the tires of previously consistent cars was BS, but in the final round, Force was lined up next to Hagan and overpowered the track in the best lane about 800 feet down track and lost. Considering how many rounds, races and chips he has won, I know it aint over yet. And hell might freeze over before anybody cones close to his 16 driver titles and 2 more team owner titles
03_SONIC_BLUR
First Gear

Postby Tetge » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:01 am

Once Hagan won the third round, Force was finished. If he has been only one round down, it could have come to the final race, but the small points got him and he couldn't set a new record ET or do anything unless Hagan screwed up, and, Hagan didn't. But, there were some obvious attempts to position team members and it was obvious that Hagan's team mates threw their races to him. He might have defeated them anyway, but, they went up in smoke to insure that he won the championship. So, drag racing is not 100% pure because there are big money teams that follow team orders when it is to the overall advantage of the team. And, don't get me started on bracket racing!

But, that said, I still am a dyed in the wool drag racer.
Tetge
Fourth Gear

Postby 03_SONIC_BLUR » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:39 pm

I can tell you this about the tower suite: The classes running delay boxes and other crap are boring as hell to watch, the suite makes them tolerable. You can go to the back of the suite and nosh, get a beverage and basically ignore the index/bracket racers. The Jr Drags are a good way to introduce kids to the sport, but watching them is like trying to watch a paint drying contest. Don't understand the need to run this on Finals day
03_SONIC_BLUR
First Gear

Postby jhwalker » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:46 pm

03_SONIC_BLUR wrote:I can tell you this about the tower suite: The classes running delay boxes and other crap are boring as hell to watch, the suite makes them tolerable. You can go to the back of the suite and nosh, get a beverage and basically ignore the index/bracket racers. The Jr Drags are a good way to introduce kids to the sport, but watching them is like trying to watch a paint drying contest. Don't understand the need to run this on Finals day

Yes, Jr Drags are only interesting to the friends and family. Boxes which let folks put their foot on the floor and then finally kick in to not break out are just bullshit. Being able to eat and drink could ease the pain. :whistle:
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Previous

Return to Local Events and Road Trips