Raptor - Worth It ?

Ford's Awesome new 4x4 truck

Raptor - Worth It ?

Postby Brakelate » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:19 pm

I love the Raptor and would still consider purchasing one. I think the weak frame rumors (where they bend upward at the bed / cab junction) have been ironed out.

5.4 or 6.0 I don't think is as huge of an issue as it is a bragging right, as it was a huge point for some back when they first came out and they delayed release of the larger motor was causing some to hold off and even be put on waiting lists.

Anyway, I was wondering. Honestly, is the Raptor worth the extra mark up and sticker price? Without all the cool marketing, and the exclusivity of having a factory built unique truck, versus building one yourself, does the cost justify it? I am thinking of what one could do otherwise to make a personal, unique, yet functional truck... say an King Ranch F150, with the addition of aftermarket suspension, lockers, etc.

I guess the same could be said about the Jeep Rubicon. I (believe) I could get a similar, or possibly better equipped Wrangler Unlimited package, and just add aftermarket lockers, tires, wheels and some other goodies such as rock rails and possibly nice bumpers, etc. and just "create my own" so to speak.

I guess some of the attraction with both is that it is a turn-key, roll off the lot complete vehicle with factory warranty, etc which may be appealing, especially to those who like exclusive, rare factory packages, or are limited in mechanical know how, tools, time and or desire to work on a vehicle themselves. In the process, you lose a bit of the ability to really "create your own" by choosing your own tires, wheels, lift, gears, etc, etc.

Anyways. Just curious on the opinion of someone who has ironically owned both now.

What is/was your experience?
User avatar
Brakelate
Third Gear
 
Posts: 1403
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:44 am
Location: UT / AZ Border overlooking Lake Powell
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Raptor - Worth It ?

Postby xjrguy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:38 am

Brakelate wrote:I love the Raptor and would still consider purchasing one. I think the weak frame rumors (where they bend upward at the bed / cab junction) have been ironed out.

5.4 or 6.0 I don't think is as huge of an issue as it is a bragging right, as it was a huge point for some back when they first came out and they delayed release of the larger motor was causing some to hold off and even be put on waiting lists.

Anyway, I was wondering. Honestly, is the Raptor worth the extra mark up and sticker price? Without all the cool marketing, and the exclusivity of having a factory built unique truck, versus building one yourself, does the cost justify it? I am thinking of what one could do otherwise to make a personal, unique, yet functional truck... say an King Ranch F150, with the addition of aftermarket suspension, lockers, etc.

I guess the same could be said about the Jeep Rubicon. I (believe) I could get a similar, or possibly better equipped Wrangler Unlimited package, and just add aftermarket lockers, tires, wheels and some other goodies such as rock rails and possibly nice bumpers, etc. and just "create my own" so to speak.

I guess some of the attraction with both is that it is a turn-key, roll off the lot complete vehicle with factory warranty, etc which may be appealing, especially to those who like exclusive, rare factory packages, or are limited in mechanical know how, tools, time and or desire to work on a vehicle themselves. In the process, you lose a bit of the ability to really "create your own" by choosing your own tires, wheels, lift, gears, etc, etc.

Anyways. Just curious on the opinion of someone who has ironically owned both now.

What is/was your experience?



The Raptor is a fantastic truck.

First off, the frame bending thing was blown out of proportion and basically one idiot (and then another group of folks) created the problem all on their own.

I owned my Raptor for almost two years. I used that truck but I also respected it. I got top dollar when I traded it in because it was in immaculate shape, however that truck was run at 90+ MPH out in the flat desert and I did have all four wheels off the ground on several occasions. Never broke anything, never bent anything.

Back to the frame topic. Some idiot named Blue SVT took his truck out to the desert and was running it at very high speeds (I believe his truck was chipped and limited removed, but that is besides the point) Basically homeboy was running a trail that he did not prerun and ended up hitting a "kicker" which is basically a large whoop at speed over 80+ MPH. The vehicle was submitted to forces beyond the design limitations of the suspension, bumpstops, and frame.

He was able to drive the truck out of there and ended up posting a shitstorm of crap against Ford about this issue (which he created) - Ford responded to this guy and even offered to straighten his frame for $800. He declined.

The next group went out on a $450 group run with an outfit that will remain nameless. Over half a dozen trucks (if I remember correctly) were damaged (including frames bent) due to careless driving\overdriving the vehicle.

Like I said earlier, I had my truck out on Ford sanctioned runs, several Mojave road trips, Death Valley, etc and all included high speed running. All the people I ran with respected the equipment and didn't drive foolishly and their trucks remained undamaged.

The great thing about the Raptor (and the Rubicon since it was mentioned) is that it came from the factory in a kick ass configuration. The shocks, leaf pack, bodywork could all be added via the aftermarket, but what people forget is the ABS/Traction control and all the other electronics that are customized to Raptor that are integrated from the factory. Additionally, all of this good stuff is covered under warranty.

When I bought my truck (was one of the early adopters) we had guys that had some part failures. One had a diff failure due to defective part. Ford bent over backwards to fix the truck. They supported the early adopters very well. Ford also put on "Raptor Roundups" where you could drive your truck or theirs around a real dirt track that trophy trucks used. I attended several of these and ran my truck with Ford engineers in the cab with me. It was AWESOME!

The downside to the Raptor is that it's a HUGE truck. Not just length wise but width. Thing is a porker. The other stupid thing about it was no cabin air filter. I would go out on these runs and use the AC and dust would come thru the vents. It was a stupid design. Even now I believe Ford still does NOT equip this truck with a cabin air filter (both my Jeeps have them!) - the headlights that are non HID were also worthless (based on an H13 bulb which is CRAP!)

Other than that, awesome truck that never broke or left me stranded. One of the best vehicles I have ever owned.

The Rubicon is a completely different vehicle with a different mission from the Raptor. Both are fantastic vehicles for what they are built to accomplish. It's also around 10 grand cheaper than a fully optioned Raptor.

The Jeep has a fantastic and unbelievable aftermarket. I thought the Mustang had an aftermarket (I have owned Mustangs for many years and had quite a few) but the Jeep is crazy. You can get anything for these things. You can also get a two door which is even better to navigate on the trail in some respects.

I wanted the Rubicon because I wanted the Jeep at the top of the hill. I knew that I wasn't going to rip out the lockers or Dana 44 axles and I would definitely use the stock sway bar disconnect. The Rubicon also comes pre-optioned with a lot of the optional parts the other Jeeps don't come with from the factory (better stereo, etc) Resale value is also amazing with Jeep Wrangler.

When I bought my Jeep, I had a vision of what I wanted it to be (via AEV parts) and I currently have a fairly kitted out machine. All the parts I put on mine I installed myself which is even nicer since you save money and also have a better idea how things work and how to fix them if they break. The shocks and springs and lift kit I installed allow my Jeep to run in the desert\crappy roads\etc almost as fast (if not as fast) as my Raptor.

I don't think I will ever sell it. This is coming from a guy that usually flips vehicles after a year or two.

If anyone wants any details on my Jeep build, let me know.
2015 Prius Five
2016 Challenger Hellcat
2016 Grand Cherokee Summit EcoDiesel
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited AEV Upgrades
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe 460/C6
2010 Kawasaki Concours 1400 ABS with some farkles
User avatar
xjrguy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 843
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:14 am
Location: The Garage
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Raptor - Worth It ?

Postby Brakelate » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:22 pm

Great response.

You had the 5.4, correct? In your opinion, is there any real difference in getting the optioned up 6.o in the real world?
User avatar
Brakelate
Third Gear
 
Posts: 1403
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:44 am
Location: UT / AZ Border overlooking Lake Powell
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Raptor - Worth It ?

Postby xjrguy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:56 pm

Brakelate wrote:Great response.

You had the 5.4, correct? In your opinion, is there any real difference in getting the optioned up 6.o in the real world?


Yes I had the 5.4L 3V. I had the early 2010 which had that motor as the only option and no true four door (Screw) available.

I had no complaints with the 5.4 and didn't have any issue keeping up with 6.2's in the sand. It was a fun truck to drive in any element. Rode like a Lincoln on the freeway.

The 5.4L SuperCab is as fast as the four door 6.2L Super Crew

The 6.2 is a pig fuel economy wise.
2015 Prius Five
2016 Challenger Hellcat
2016 Grand Cherokee Summit EcoDiesel
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited AEV Upgrades
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe 460/C6
2010 Kawasaki Concours 1400 ABS with some farkles
User avatar
xjrguy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 843
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:14 am
Location: The Garage
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Raptor - Worth It ?

Postby Brakelate » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:43 pm

Interesting. I will have to look if there are any higher mileage 5.4's coming onto the market that would be more affordable to purchase and fully enjoy. Read: not so afraid to go out and scratch the damn thing.
User avatar
Brakelate
Third Gear
 
Posts: 1403
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:44 am
Location: UT / AZ Border overlooking Lake Powell
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Raptor - Worth It ?

Postby xjrguy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:55 pm

Brakelate wrote:Interesting. I will have to look if there are any higher mileage 5.4's coming onto the market that would be more affordable to purchase and fully enjoy. Read: not so afraid to go out and scratch the damn thing.


There are also superchargers available for both engines too.
2015 Prius Five
2016 Challenger Hellcat
2016 Grand Cherokee Summit EcoDiesel
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited AEV Upgrades
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe 460/C6
2010 Kawasaki Concours 1400 ABS with some farkles
User avatar
xjrguy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 843
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:14 am
Location: The Garage
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Raptor - Worth It ?

Postby Brakelate » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:05 pm

Mmmmm. It may sound nutty, but at the moment, I am at a point where I think I would enjoy a smog-legal stock-ish vehicle that I could just enjoy and not worry about being so fanatical about.
User avatar
Brakelate
Third Gear
 
Posts: 1403
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:44 am
Location: UT / AZ Border overlooking Lake Powell
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Raptor - Worth It ?

Postby the1904kid » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:04 pm

my good buddy's dad had a raptor. he sold it because he kept backing into things. I think the real reason was that he was old and was too scared to jump it, and since he never did everyone made fun of him for not driving the raptor as it should have been.
2006 CRF450R Supermoto
2004 CRF450R Dirt/Desert Machine
2007 DRZ400SM Streetard
User avatar
the1904kid
Noob
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:33 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Raptor - Worth It ?

Postby jhwalker » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:45 am

There was a Raptor with a fancy paint job in town yesterday. Yes, this place is SO small that no notice any different car. This one had D F plates on it.
Total effect -- what a toy! Much too big for the San Miguel de Allende streets. But great for the country roads. I felt that familiar "I waaaant that" feeling and reminded myself that the new James no longer makes impulse buys. :-D

If they made a smaller version that was legit, it might be the backup vehicle for the Escape and the Suziki 400 that I have been looking for... :whistle:
jhwalker
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 2537
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:04 pm
Location: Central Mexico
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Raptor - Worth It ?

Postby xjrguy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:57 am

jhwalker wrote:There was a Raptor with a fancy paint job in town yesterday. Yes, this place is SO small that no notice any different car. This one had D F plates on it.
Total effect -- what a toy! Much too big for the San Miguel de Allende streets. But great for the country roads. I felt that familiar "I waaaant that" feeling and reminded myself that the new James no longer makes impulse buys. :-D

If they made a smaller version that was legit, it might be the backup vehicle for the Escape and the Suziki 400 that I have been looking for... :whistle:



If they made a Ranger size Raptor I think they would sell tons of them.
2015 Prius Five
2016 Challenger Hellcat
2016 Grand Cherokee Summit EcoDiesel
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited AEV Upgrades
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe 460/C6
2010 Kawasaki Concours 1400 ABS with some farkles
User avatar
xjrguy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 843
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:14 am
Location: The Garage
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Next

Return to SVT Raptor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron