Lane sharing

Two wheels are sometimes better than four! Here's the place to talk about bikes, gear, tech, rides and more!

Lane sharing

Postby Tetge » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:14 pm

I recently watched a youtube video made by a new KTM Duke owner who lives in Texas. Since their bike was brand new they were riding on surface streets and freeways, and, I got nervous watching them, as they never split lanes and they were in some questionable spots at times in traffic. So I looked up the laws, as I was not sure, and it turned out the lane sharing, aka lane splitting, is illegal in all states other than California. So, pretty much, if you ride motorcycles, this fact, as well as the weather, is yet another compelling reason to live in California. It now seems that California will legalize lane sharing by motorcycles, although the new rules are not to my liking. But, they will allow a motorcycle to share lanes and they will permit filtering through really bad traffic. The way the rule is written, it effectively limits splitting to times when traffic is running about 40 mph, as it limits the motorcycle to no more than 50 mph while lane sharing, and one has to have some additional speed to get safely by moving traffic, which is why I say about 40 mph. I guess the days of splitting lanes when the traffic was rolling 70 are ended, but, I also suppose that it was never legal to do that anyway......

I do know that I could not ride in traffic in any other state, as I consider it a major safety feature to split lanes. I would be very nervous if I had to be the last vehicle in a line of stopped traffic, since this bothers me in a cage and a cage has crash protection. So, I don't understand how bikers in all the other state can accept such laws?
Tetge
Fourth Gear

Re: Lane sharing

Postby jhwalker » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:05 am

Interesting, while driving thru the many states during the past two years, I saw consistant lane splitting. I never thought anything about it, other than wishing the SPF was, for the moment, a motorcycle.
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Postby Tetge » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:35 pm

jhwalker wrote:Interesting, while driving thru the many states during the past two years, I saw consistant lane splitting. I never thought anything about it, other than wishing the SPF was, for the moment, a motorcycle.

Everyone you saw was a criminal. But, what can one expect of bikers? Or, perhaps, I should say, what can one expect of those that ride on two wheels, since bicyclists are about the worst when it comes to following traffic rules that exist.
Tetge
Fourth Gear

Postby jhwalker » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:49 pm

Tetge wrote:
jhwalker wrote:Interesting, while driving thru the many states during the past two years, I saw consistant lane splitting. I never thought anything about it, other than wishing the SPF was, for the moment, a motorcycle.

Everyone you saw was a criminal. But, what can one expect of bikers? Or, perhaps, I should say, what can one expect of those that ride on two wheels, since bicyclists are about the worst when it comes to following traffic rules that exist.

:lol: Glad you clarified...
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Postby Chad-1stgen » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:21 pm

I've heard CA is supposedly going to formally legalize land sharing/splitting but do you have a link on the proposed rules?
Chad-1stgen
Noob

Postby xbacksideslider » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:48 am

The bill formally legalizing it passed the CA Assembly but then it was blocked, in the state Senate and never became law. Apparently, MC industry thought that the proposed law's language was more restrictive - easier for police to write you up on the basis of their opinion - than is the current informal legality.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-gov ... 20264.html

As usual the insurance companies are in there lobbying. They pay up when their insured auto drivers get sued for MC/car accidents and the big auto insurers don't sell/make money off of MC insurance. So, what happened is that the MC industry ante'd up to slow down a law being bought by the insurance industry. It's also likely that the trial lawyers were tapped too; they don't want a new law that makes it easier to blame the MC when some car crowds a lane splitting bike and knocks it over causing personal injury.

Typical shakedown by the politicians - milking both sides. "Hi, I'm from the government and I'm here to help you - oh, BTW, you can pay me to make sure my help won't hurt you."
xbacksideslider
Second Gear

Postby 03_SONIC_BLUR » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:08 am

ABATE is working on the language of the bill. I know the coordinator for legislative affairs here in Ventura County, and they have a lobbyist working on something friendly to motorcyclists
03_SONIC_BLUR
First Gear

Postby xbacksideslider » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:42 am

Blur - tell that ABATE guy to "up the ante." He should demand that MCs get the same 3 feet of mandatory "move over and accommodate" clearance that the bicyclists now get. The trial lawyers will love it; every time a lane splitting MC gets knocked down, the liability would be automatic; the only question would be "what's the damages?"

Further, the Democrats that run this state want to minimize air pollution/C02 emissions/gas consumption. Well . . . that is exactly what MCs do.

Heck, while they're at it, with just paint, they could create diamond lanes on all the highways that are too narrow for full width automobile diamond lanes. They've spent billions widening highways for full width diamond lanes; for a lot less they can create them for MCs with just paint.
xbacksideslider
Second Gear

Postby 03_SONIC_BLUR » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:36 pm

xbacksideslider wrote:Blur - tell that ABATE guy to "up the ante." He should demand that MCs get the same 3 feet of mandatory "move over and accommodate" clearance that the bicyclists now get. The trial lawyers will love it; every time a lane splitting MC gets knocked down, the liability would be automatic; the only question would be "what's the damages?"

Further, the Democrats that run this state want to minimize air pollution/C02 emissions/gas consumption. Well . . . that is exactly what MCs do.

Heck, while they're at it, with just paint, they could create diamond lanes on all the highways that are too narrow for full width automobile diamond lanes. They've spent billions widening highways for full width diamond lanes; for a lot less they can create them for MCs with just paint.

I'll pass it along and let you know what he says
03_SONIC_BLUR
First Gear

Postby Chad-1stgen » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:06 pm

Maybe this will drag on for years and I will be retired or not needing to commute on the freeways by then :)
Chad-1stgen
Noob

Next

Return to Motorcycles, Ride Planning and Two Wheel News