Hayabusa

User avatar
Tetge
Fourth Gear
Posts: 2513
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:00 pm

Hayabusa

Post by Tetge »

I used to have a Hayabusa but the economy got so hammered that I had to let it go. But, I know some mug with a new 08 Hayabusa and it is almost as fast as my MotoGuzzi....

User avatar
xjrguy
Site Admin
Posts: 890
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:14 am
Location: The Garage
Contact:

Re: Hayabusa

Post by xjrguy »

Tetge wrote:I used to have a Hayabusa but the economy got so hammered that I had to let it go. But, I know some mug with a new 08 Hayabusa and it is almost as fast as my MotoGuzzi....

I've never ridden one but would love to try one someday.

Heard nothing but great things about that motor.

I'm talking about the Busa, just to be clear....LOL :mrgreen:
2015 Prius Five
2019 Mini Cooper S
2016 Grand Cherokee Summit EcoDiesel
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited AEV Upgrades
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe 460/C6
2010 Kawasaki Concours 1400 ABS with some farkles

User avatar
Tetge
Fourth Gear
Posts: 2513
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:00 pm

Re: Hayabusa

Post by Tetge »

My older Hayabusa ran on 87 octane and had the same power curve as a Suzuki Samari but the new edition calls for 91 octane and has more radical cams and larger induction. Still at 1340cc's it has that big block feeling that Terminator owners come to expect in a vehicle. But, as I recall, that Yamaha that you have is supposed to have that big block feeling also and is comfortable on top of that.

User avatar
xjrguy
Site Admin
Posts: 890
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:14 am
Location: The Garage
Contact:

Re: Hayabusa

Post by xjrguy »

Hi,

Yes the FJR1300 is a stump puller.

I've done a couple minor things to it, and it too runs on 87 (actually prefers it over anything else)

The Busa would obliterate it at the track (quarter mile) but like you said I have ergos and the lack of a chain to oil (unless you have a ScottOiler on the Busa)

I also had a 2005 FZ1 (1000cc prev. gen R1 motor) and I loved it, but it was like a mini FJR, but faster and with chain drive.

I sold it back in March 08 and don't miss it, although it was a fantastic motorcycle.

Haven't been on my bike in months and it's feeling a bit neglected especially since I actually got seat time in all three of my cars tonight after work.

Thank god for battery tenders.
2015 Prius Five
2019 Mini Cooper S
2016 Grand Cherokee Summit EcoDiesel
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited AEV Upgrades
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe 460/C6
2010 Kawasaki Concours 1400 ABS with some farkles

User avatar
Brakelate
Third Gear
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:44 am
Location: UT / AZ Border overlooking Lake Powell

Re: Hayabusa

Post by Brakelate »

I think it would like a casual ride out to Famoso tonight.

User avatar
Tetge
Fourth Gear
Posts: 2513
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:00 pm

Re: Hayabusa

Post by Tetge »

The shame, the shame of it all. At Famoso Brakelate and his Busa fell to a ZX14 and it was all caught on a video that is even now making the rounds on the NET. Unfortunately I do not have the url to link to but, the 14 clearly slaughtered Brakelate.

User avatar
xjrguy
Site Admin
Posts: 890
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:14 am
Location: The Garage
Contact:

Re: Hayabusa

Post by xjrguy »

Tetge wrote:The shame, the shame of it all. At Famoso Brakelate and his Busa fell to a ZX14 and it was all caught on a video that is even now making the rounds on the NET. Unfortunately I do not have the url to link to but, the 14 clearly slaughtered Brakelate.
:text-lol:
2015 Prius Five
2019 Mini Cooper S
2016 Grand Cherokee Summit EcoDiesel
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited AEV Upgrades
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe 460/C6
2010 Kawasaki Concours 1400 ABS with some farkles

User avatar
Tetge
Fourth Gear
Posts: 2513
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:00 pm

Re: Hayabusa

Post by Tetge »

I took a short ride on Brakelate's new 08 Busa tonight. I would not have done so, but I had been drinking. It is very strange but at least I understand now why it has a big digital display of what gear one in and why it has this really bright shift light that startles one when it goes off. One sits way down inside the Busa and it has a seat made of concrete. It is a long long reach over the giant tank to the stubby bars from when you sit. Naturally the low seating position means that your knees are forced up into your chin. And the engine makes zero noise so one can not even tell if it is running (see gear indicator and shift light, above). The rest of the story is the usual description of endless torque at all speeds and in all gears (see digital gear indicator, above). I did notice that the bike wallowed a bit in the curves but it was pitch dark on a twisty little road and I was going fairly slow so it might have been my imagination. In spite of the fact that Braklelate pulls lurid throttle wheelies at any speed up to 100 mph, the front end never even got light on me. And the bike has nice brakes.
I pulled over after a brief ride and gave it back to Brakelate and jumped on my Guzzi and lumbered off like a earth mover. If I rode the Busa, I'd go straight to jail. The speedo has tiny little numbers and I thought that I was doing 60 in a 45 near Acton but in fact when I looked closer, the needle was pointing at 90! Very dangerous bike indeed.

User avatar
xjrguy
Site Admin
Posts: 890
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:14 am
Location: The Garage
Contact:

Re: Hayabusa

Post by xjrguy »

Tetge wrote:I took a short ride on Brakelate's new 08 Busa tonight. I would not have done so, but I had been drinking. It is very strange but at least I understand now why it has a big digital display of what gear one in and why it has this really bright shift light that startles one when it goes off. One sits way down inside the Busa and it has a seat made of concrete. It is a long long reach over the giant tank to the stubby bars from when you sit. Naturally the low seating position means that your knees are forced up into your chin. And the engine makes zero noise so one can not even tell if it is running (see gear indicator and shift light, above). The rest of the story is the usual description of endless torque at all speeds and in all gears (see digital gear indicator, above). I did notice that the bike wallowed a bit in the curves but it was pitch dark on a twisty little road and I was going fairly slow so it might have been my imagination. In spite of the fact that Braklelate pulls lurid throttle wheelies at any speed up to 100 mph, the front end never even got light on me. And the bike has nice brakes.
I pulled over after a brief ride and gave it back to Brakelate and jumped on my Guzzi and lumbered off like a earth mover. If I rode the Busa, I'd go straight to jail. The speedo has tiny little numbers and I thought that I was doing 60 in a 45 near Acton but in fact when I looked closer, the needle was pointing at 90! Very dangerous bike indeed.

This is a great story, however I am humbled that I was not invited. :(

In any event I remember back in 2002 I had a Kawasaki Drifter. It was a 47HP 805cc liquid cooled cruiser.

One of my friends at the time had a 2002 R1. :drool:

We traded bikes and I felt the same way you did on that Hayabusa. The R1 was quiet, pulled like an F16 and stopped on a dime.

When I got back on my Drifter I pulled the throttle and realized how slow my bike was. (it was slower than your Guzzi, but was cruiser)

I sold it a couple years later and got the FJR.
2015 Prius Five
2019 Mini Cooper S
2016 Grand Cherokee Summit EcoDiesel
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited AEV Upgrades
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe 460/C6
2010 Kawasaki Concours 1400 ABS with some farkles

User avatar
Tetge
Fourth Gear
Posts: 2513
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:00 pm

Re: Hayabusa

Post by Tetge »

xjrguy wrote:.....This is a great story, however I am humbled that I was not invited. :( ....
Sometimes we decide to hit a restaurant one the spur of the moment. We were shooting to go riding Saturday, but then rain forecasts came up and a person I know that works in the Valley sent an e-mail about pizza and we decided to rip the Forest Highway a new one and shoot down to Northridge. Well, I was on the Guzzi so I was going to cruise at a nice commute pace over the forest Highway and down into Sunland. And, I did but Brakelate had to wait up for me a lot on his Busa. And someone caught us on some Honda and went past me so fast that I could not make out the bike, but, when Brakelate pulled up even with them he was able to see it was a Honda sports bike of some kind. Anyway, it was not a planned ride of any kind.

Post Reply

Return to “Suzuki”