Golf, believe it or not

Here is the forum to discuss all things non automotive. Suggestions for subforums are welcome!

Golf, believe it or not

Postby jhwalker » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:36 am

Sitting here catching up on email, have the TV on a golf tournament that actually finished last night. Watching GOB (good ole boy) Bubba Watkins imploding on the last couple of holes, taking a double-bogey on a par 3, and then throwing in a 30-40 foot shot out of a sand trap for an eagle to move into a tie to go into a playoff. So he takes a 5 on a 3 par and a 3 on a 5 par.

Actually fun to watch, more so because Terri and I are playing golf more. One of my 2015 goals is to get down to a 9 handicap. :doh: "if a man's reach... "

Ricky Fowler, a top golfer, rode motocross until he badly broke a foot. He was golf's rookie of the year in 2010 and this vid was produced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta0TeTOm7eA

They swear no photo-shopping, just many many takes to get the final vid... :think: :liar: ????
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Re: Golf, believe it or not

Postby jhwalker » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:59 am

And Bubba just hit a long putt to net a cool $1,400,000 with the win. Good job, Bubba.
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Postby jhwalker » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:05 am

Interesting Bubba stuff.

Plays left-handed, not many pros do.
Might be the best current player to have never taken lessons from a golf pro. The myth is NO lessons, but someone surely showed him how to hold he club...
Wife is 6'4" to his 6'3"

Has perhaps the craziest setup and swing in the pros...

One hand clapping signing off... :-D
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Postby jhwalker » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:48 am

Did I mention that cheap-o (yours truly) picked up a new (to me) set of demo clubs from a golf club closing for renovation. My current set is worth about $150 and is about 20 years old except for the driver that I picked on sale that has a washtub-sized head on it... I don't remember who made these but they were "good". And I paid about 1/4 retail. I figured that they would be pretty rough, but a friend drove out and grabbed them for me and said they actually look unused. I will check them out when I fly up on 11/20. :whistle:

(I plan on this being the longest thread with ONLY entries by the thread starter, so please don't anyone corrupt it... :evil:
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Postby Tetge » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:05 am

jhwalker wrote:..........(I plan on this being the longest thread with ONLY entries by the thread starter, so please don't anyone corrupt it... :evil:

OK, I will respect your wishes about this..............
Tetge
Fourth Gear

Postby jhwalker » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:22 am

Tetge wrote:
jhwalker wrote:..........(I plan on this being the longest thread with ONLY entries by the thread starter, so please don't anyone corrupt it... :evil:

I figured it would be John. How disappointing... :angry-screaming:
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Postby xbacksideslider » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:54 pm

At LA City's Encino last week, shot one over on the front, 6 over on the back.

Playing partner friend said "Monkey fell from tree." Had to laugh at that.
xbacksideslider
Second Gear

Postby jhwalker » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:06 pm

xbacksideslider wrote:At LA City's Encino last week, shot one over on the front, 6 over on the back.

Playing partner friend said "Monkey fell from tree." Had to laugh at that.

Dayum. That is about my best at the short Westlake course. It IS fun to knock the hell out of a golf ball... :dance:
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Postby jhwalker » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:41 pm

We are back playing again in Mexico. For the last two weeks, we have tee'd off at 7:30 am. Other than our caddies, we are the only persons on the Malanquin course at 7:30am. Unlike the US, they just don't tee off early here. :clap: It is beautiful at that time, and stays that way for the 3 hours and 10 minutes it takes to walk and play the 18 holes. Every friggin hole feels like a birdie opportunity yet I am getting no birdies. I was smacking pretty well today, and was typically a 9 or a pitcher away after 1 on the par 4s and 2 on the par 5s, and then I would snatch defeat from the jaws of victory (as the cliche' goes...). Still love the 6500 ft altitude. I am hitting it further and straighter at 71 than I was at sea level at age 55. Damned fountain of youth, altitude is... Have to work on moving the ball left and right on the drives and long fairway shots with better control and I will be taking that 2nd and 3rd shot from a better position. Had no legit eagle tries today, and probably 8 legit birdie putts on these fiendish greens. 0 for 8. :evil: Then, as usual, blew up and took double par on a couple of holes so said screw it on the score and used it as a practice round. Meow. I may never learn to play the game right, but Terri and I have a good time :whistle:

xbacksideslider, you would shoot at least 6 under here after your Encino performance...
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Postby 03_SONIC_BLUR » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:53 pm

jhwalker wrote:
Tetge wrote:

I figured it would be John. How disappointing... :angry-screaming:

Umm, I'm not some terrorist. I don't blow shit up for the sake of blowing it up. Ok, maybe I do, but not so's you'd notice
03_SONIC_BLUR
First Gear

Next

Return to General Discussions Unrelated to Cars and Motorsports