Golf, believe it or not

Here is the forum to discuss all things non automotive. Suggestions for subforums are welcome!

Re: Golf, believe it or not

Postby xbacksideslider » Wed May 06, 2015 11:31 am

Monday skins game at El Cariso in Sylmar, left 9 birdie putts within 6 inches of the hole, short or off to the side, and four of them curled around and finished behind the hole . . . won nothing.
xbacksideslider
First Gear

Postby jhwalker » Wed May 06, 2015 2:12 pm

xbacksideslider wrote:Monday skins game at El Cariso in Sylmar, left 9 birdie putts within 6 inches of the hole, short or off to the side, and four of them curled around and finished behind the hole . . . won nothing.

How often do you play?
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Postby xbacksideslider » Thu May 07, 2015 12:24 pm

Lately, twice a week. Blame it on Kaiser, doc says I need exercise, so walking 18 for Monday and Thursday games.
xbacksideslider
First Gear

Postby jhwalker » Thu May 07, 2015 7:14 pm

Twice a week + was always when my game started improving. Right now we are averaging 2 times a month, and I am undecided about whether to try to improve my game, or just keep whacking and hacking for fun. There are some decent old geez players here. A friend who is 76 shot a 75 last weekend. His best for a while. Terri just loves "the good walk" while trying to improve her game.
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Postby xbacksideslider » Fri May 08, 2015 10:46 am

It IS a great game, similar to being near to the water, something pacific about being out for a walk in a natural setting . . . . but then the psychology of it, of a good score being low instead of high, of striving to minimize, of controlling yourself . . . . can drive you nuts.

As with many things in life, the young and the old can be very good at it. When my daughter was in junior golf, I would walk as a referee observer and watch 10 year olds effortlessly make par after par, usually one putt "up and downs;" they hit it in the center, or close, chip, and putt, easy peasy.
xbacksideslider
First Gear

Postby jhwalker » Sun May 17, 2015 2:44 pm

Did anyone catch Ricky Fowler being voted "Most Overrated Golfer" the week (right before) he won the TPS?
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Postby jhwalker » Sun May 17, 2015 3:05 pm

Yesterday I missed 4 legit birdie trys. 10 feet or less. The greens are devious, and I am not reading them well enough. On every par 4 I was driver, 9 or pitcher to the green. Clearly I need to work more on the 9/pitcher. Only went ape-crap bad on two holes. All in all, a good walk.

Terri, at 110 lbs, is hitting 170+ on a lot of her tee shots and that is changing her game. She used to have a very pretty swing, but no power, now not so pretty a swing but is hitting it on the screws. They give the women a good distance handicap at this course, some 40s, 50, and on one hole 80 yards. Keeps me on my toes.
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Postby jhwalker » Sat May 23, 2015 3:37 pm

Today was the best that I have played at the Malanquin course. 7 pars, 2 double bogeys, 9 bogeys (a couple should have been pars -- no putts over 5 ft made).
Hit 1 ball into the water on a par 5 (massive rain last night and a little pond turned into a lake) and took a 6. Such is life. :whistle:

With this altitude am getting 210- 235 with the driver, usually right down the middle. ??? where the heck that good drive is coming from I have NO idea.
Terri got a birdie on a par 3 over water. :clap: Long time since her last birdie.
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Postby xbacksideslider » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:40 pm

US Open and the PGA coming up, good stuff to watch.

Enjoyed watching the purity of the ladies' swings during the KPMG LPGA in New York. Somehow they hit 260 effortlessly. Easy club head speed from sub 6 foot players, long shafts, ground up down swings, fast loose hands; then smooth 3/4 swing approach shots and of course great putts.
xbacksideslider
First Gear

Postby jhwalker » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:55 pm

xbacksideslider wrote:US Open and the PGA coming up, good stuff to watch.

Enjoyed watching the purity of the ladies' swings during the KPMG LPGA in New York. Somehow they hit 260 effortlessly. Easy club head speed from sub 6 foot players, long shafts, ground up down swings, fast loose hands; then smooth 3/4 swing approach shots and of course great putts.

I agree. I will never hit 325 again like I did that day when I "crushed" it and THEN got a sprinkler head a few years back. And the men are killing it, but doing stuff with their bodies that this 70+ year old body is not going to do. Seeing 120 lb chicks smoothly crank out those drives and fairway shots is amazing.
It has been interesting to watch Terri in her late 50s hit longer and straighter. It keeps me focused.
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions Unrelated to Cars and Motorsports