Golf, believe it or not

Here is the forum to discuss all things non automotive. Suggestions for subforums are welcome!

Why Jordan Speith is bad for golf.

Postby jhwalker » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:05 pm

Sure he is a great (? do we tag people with "great" at age 21? I think there is an element of sustained excellence over time that plays into great.).
So, ok, he is very good.

But folks at the public courses emulate the top golfers and this guy is glacial when prepping to hit. Short putt --- let's study it for a couple of minutes from, from every FRINNIN point on the compass. Then tap in that 1 footer.

And then, there is that doophy-ass walk that looks like he dropped a load in his pants on his last tee shot. Somebody, get him a walk tutor...

Let's add that at age 21 he already has hints of moobs that HE does not notice I guess, but it looks like he is going to attain C-cup status like Mickelson (sp?) did back before he decided to get into shape.

So give me a young Tiger. Lean, lithe, and ready to pounce on those waitresses. :whistle:
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Re: Golf, believe it or not

Postby xbacksideslider » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:44 am

Two majors in one season, that puts him in elite company already.
Smart course management and smart self management.
Lucky too, but then that's always the case.

Hated being unable to see the roll of the ball due to the yellowness of the grass. The USGA's circular reasoning "tough courses bring out the best players" could be applied to a round played in a parking structure; the "best player" would get it around the wheel stops, through the greasy spots, and across the cracked broom finished concrete, and voila! into the drainage holes!
xbacksideslider
First Gear

Postby jhwalker » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:58 am

Yes, he won, and he did speed up after his 1st delay warning. If Dustin Johnson could put he would have won by 5 -- but he can't.

It is funny, he says the right things, and I may get over my irritation at how slow he is at some point. Probably not.

Yes, the course was pretty horrible. I enjoyed the torture aspect :-) But when the caddies are getting injured, :doh:
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Postby Tetge » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:22 pm

I watched the final three holes as the leaders finished up and all I saw was everyone choking. However, I was glad that it didn't go to a playoff on Monday, since I'd seen enough of quality golf at the highest level in the few peeks I took at the event. I kept thinking miniature golf played on a faded brown carpet. This is because I watched some of the Master's and it seemed to me that at the Masters, the ball was able to be controlled a lot better using spin and the like. At the Open, a ball would hit, apparently nicely placed, and then almost do a burn out as it gathered speed and moved away toward some cliff 60 yards off. Quite a contrast in the appearance of the courses and how they played. But, not being a player of, nor a fan of, golf, I have no idea which event pleased the golf experts the most as perhaps they like brown, dry, fast, evil, courses, where the local rule allows rocks and pebbles to be picked up since there are so many?
Tetge
Fourth Gear

Previous

Return to General Discussions Unrelated to Cars and Motorsports