Oops. I have a fractured vertebrae.

Here is the forum to discuss all things non automotive. Suggestions for subforums are welcome!

Oops. I have a fractured vertebrae.

Postby jhwalker » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:34 am

Probably it has been fractured for a long time, but something finally has made T-7 pretty unbearable. My memory is that a couple of you have dealt with similar problems.
I had L1 thru L5 fused back in 1962 after experiencing paralysis from a football injury that revealed some goofy stuff in my lower lumbar.
My theory is that the fusion has always put additional "functional" pressure on the vertebrae above. But, whatever, between general goofing around, gokart wrecks, motorcycle wrecks, mountain bike wrecks, street bike wrecks, playing city-league basketball until age 45, it is a mess. My normal "calm down a little" therapy did not work and this morning I am in Loma Linda for an Monday morning early diagnosis session, and an early Tuesday morning session in Marina del Rey.
Terri has excellent insurance and covers me, so rather than see a couple of highly-recommended doctors in the San Miguel de Allende area -- for cash -- I am going to see a couple of highly-recommended doctors in SoCal -- for my deductible.

This will be my first use of insurance in 3 years. Too bad we don't get credit for NO use of benefits for which we pay a chunk of money each year. :-D
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Re: Oops. I have a fractured vertebrae.

Postby Tetge » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:29 pm

That doesn't sound too good. Compassionate, kindly, caring, and thoughtful, person that I am, I immediately thought that it was really too bad that you put down a deposit on a Ducati in Mexico, since that meant that I could not take your place and get the Scrambler myself. Of course, these days medical procedures are so good that you might still be able to ride a motorcycle after back surgery, even perhaps by the time the Ducati arrives at the dealership. Doctors can work miracles, although they might put you into a body cast for six months as the spinal cord is a critical area to fool with.

Of course, typing the above gave me yet another idea. Maybe you could ship me your old, powerful, DR-Z if you don't need it anymore? I could use a more powerful engine as I am always down on HP and an engine swap should be relatively easy to do. Since it is not licensed it should be easy to smuggle it into the USA. It has the big carb and the hot cams and the better ignition curve with the 10500 RPM rev limiter instead of the 10000 RPM limiter in the later detuned bikes. In the world of DR-Z slowness, another 4-5 wheel HP would be an amazing increase.

Just saying......
Tetge
Fourth Gear

Postby jhwalker » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:10 pm

:lol: I already checked and I can still ride with no (or little) pain. Jumping, or serious bumps requires focus -- but always did. From all reports, the Ducati will be an easier bike to ride than the 400s , and I tested the mount and ride situation on the E which is a little more challenging than the S.
There is no motorcycle dyno in San Miguel. I would like to quantify the difference between the E and the S after insuring that they both are jetted and timed correctly. I don't trust the human variables when comparing them. :whistle: (one more thing I would like to do but probably will not -- I would have to put them in a van and sneak them to Queretaro...)
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Postby SonicVenum » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:50 am

Ouch. :doh: I hope the docs do a great job, and you heal up soon!
SonicVenum
Second Gear

Postby jhwalker » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:14 am

SonicVenum wrote:Ouch. :doh: I hope the docs do a great job, and you heal up soon!

First appointment today, the doc said "dude, what have you been doing to yourself?" More and better MRI needed.

Next appt.tomorrow... :whistle:
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Postby SonicVenum » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:15 am

I think a GoPro video of our day at the dirt bike school would have summed it up nicely for him. :lol:
SonicVenum
Second Gear

Postby jhwalker » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:51 am

SonicVenum wrote:I think a GoPro video of our day at the dirt bike school would have summed it up nicely for him. :lol:
]

:lol: Or the Jack-in-the-Box go-kart wreck rodeo rider pic that Jay took...

Or the picture of my back after the Suzuki 400 wreck. He was commenting negatively about my bone density and I reminded him that high-mileage bicycle riders usually have bone density deficiencies because the riding does not strengthen the bones. He raised his eyebrows and I found myself saying "look it up'" That's why the docs love me...

"“Sometimes athletes in their late 20s and early 30s will come in for a femur or a hip fracture, and they’ll be surprised because the fall was really not that bad,” says Dr. Max Testa, a sports medicine physician at the Orthopedic Specialty Hospital in Salt Lake City who routinely treats elite cyclists. “But we’ll look at the X-rays and see that there is some osteopenia [lower-than-normal bone density] there.”[1]

As it turns out, the primary culprit is a factor long considered a positive of cycling. It’s a low-impact sport that puts little mechanical load on the bones. That’s great if you have joint problems, but it’s the weight-bearing nature of exercise that stimulates bones to become denser. That’s why weightlifters have far denser and stronger bones than normal folk, while low bone mineral densities are often observed in swimmers and long distance runners[2-5]."

Completely documented for many years...
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Postby SonicVenum » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:35 pm

Yes, though you take care of your body by exercising, you've still put it through a lot. Haha.

It's amazing to me the things some doctors don't know. My mom has dealt with doctors that kept her on diabetes and high blood pressure medications, even after she had controlled both conditions with diet and exercise. She ended up feeling sick for a couple months before she finally just reduced her doses on her own, then told the doctor on the following visit, and he just said, "Oh yeah. Well, as long as it worked!"
SonicVenum
Second Gear

Postby jhwalker » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:18 am

I will head back home oh-dark-hundred Monday morning, arriving in Leon at 5am. No smoking gun, no sword of Damocles hanging over my spinal cord -- just clear documentation of years of injury and abuse and some medical amazement that I don't hurt more. No more jumping rope, and for now no more rebounding, no more running. Rock and roll, still plenty of good things to do. :Later today will play golf for the 2nd time this week. May incorporate swimming into the regular exercise routine. (yawn)
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Postby jhwalker » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:28 pm

I gave the back a minor test last weekend. The Japanese side of Terri's family (the other side is Chinese), the Fukamaki's, held a family reunion at James Hahn park in LA, right off La Cienega.
Nice park, it had a decent 3/4 court basketball court. Out of the 70+ folks who attended, 8 of us decided that a basketball game was in order.
There were the players -- the geezers -- and a couple of kids.
Two guys 6'5"ish -- one a skinny young Japanese player with some skills, the other one a black guy with some skills and about 230-240 lbs to deliver pain with.
Four guys, black or Japanese, or black and Japanese. shorter than I am but 2x as quick. All could dribble well, defend well, and pretty much negated each other.
Two old white guys, one 50 and yours truly at 72. Neither worth a crap, but trying.
Two teenage boys with no skill.

We tried to make fair teams... but suddenly they were up 7-2 in a game to 11. The big 230 lb guy was doing the scoring under the basket for the other team, so we dropped into a defense that me watching him as much as my guy. He would come around the skinny Japanese guy and I would be waiting and he did not like that so he would just run over me. This was a "call a foul if there was blood" game. But I got the ball away from him a couple of times, and they stopped throwing it in to him (their best play...) and pretty soon it was 10-10, gotta win by two. We won 12-10, and the woofing began.
I took inventory. The chest hurt from the big guy delivering the pain when running me over (and still does 5 days later).
The back hurt a bit due to playing D and jumping for the rebounds. I even got a couple of rebounds, with some luck. Had 3 open shots, missed 2. All in all -- no bueno. But all fun. Went down hard 1 time on pavement, "tangled legs with the big guy". Minor skin loss.
But, the next day, I could walk, so I think the back is pretty much ok.
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Next

Return to General Discussions Unrelated to Cars and Motorsports