I want my own Pursuit on TV

Here is the forum to discuss all things non automotive. Suggestions for subforums are welcome!

Re: I want my own Pursuit on TV

Postby jhwalker » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:03 pm

SonicVenum wrote:John, another thing they like to do in these "drug" fishing cases is civil forfeiture. If you just so happened to have been carrying a large amount of cash with you, for whatever reason (say to buy a car), they could seize it, and say it was to be used for illicit activities. It happens A LOT in this once great country, and is very unfortunate. A lot of states/counties follow this practice to steal money from law abiding citizens. They even try to use it on other property, up to and including houses. Our country is going bananas. It's the wild west with paved streets, and a bunch of fancy electronic gadgets.

James, be careful down there, ese! :shock:

They have kicked my ass pretty good right now. I am being very cautious. For real. My temper popped one time and I am still suffering from that.
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Postby 03_SONIC_BLUR » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:26 pm

Juan, I am aware of the asset seizure problems in this country, and was extra careful not to take anything that could be a problem. My issues are pretty petty when you consider Walkers situation, where now that he has spent big money developing property, they can grab it and kick him out or imprison him. Or, have him join the legion of Los Desparecidos
03_SONIC_BLUR
First Gear

Postby jhwalker » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:18 am

I think that am out of the woods. :whistle: I need to just be very careful for a while. My general approach to problem-solving is just not in sync with the typical Mexican administrative approach. I will go very low profile for a while. :violin:
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Postby 03_SONIC_BLUR » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:12 am

Seems I'm not the only person, indeed an OFWG, who was subjected to the Illinois State Patrol's BS
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/03/daniel-zimmerman/deconstructing-a-warrantless-traffic-stop-or-what-illinois-finest-think-of-your-fourth-amendment-rights/
The writer follows up in the comments

When American Law Enforcement loses the OFWG's, they are truly lost to an us vs. them, and it can't be good for them
03_SONIC_BLUR
First Gear

Postby jhwalker » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:37 pm

That bs type of stop leaves me feeling so pissed off. And this could have turned out a lot worse. It would be interesting to interview the many-rodeo officer who finally did the right thing.
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Postby jhwalker » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:44 pm

By the way, with the help of a little lube, I am leaving tonight to attend a memorial for a 30+ year friend who died two weeks ago, being held Saturday. I fought off the urge to just fly up and back while I am in a "pending Permanente freeze period". After the last bust, I am sure they would have caught me. A letter from immigration, received today, authorizes me to exit and to return. It must be stamped on the way out, and stamped on the way back, and turned in on Tuesday to immigration here. They whupped me. meow
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Postby SonicVenum » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:35 pm

I read stories and watch videos documenting stops like that all the time. Once I started looking into these rights violations, I thought back on my history of dealing with law enforcement. My first encounter with law enforcement as a licensed driver occurred when I was 16. I had only had my car for a couple weeks, and had gone out to eat on a Friday night with an uncle, and a male cousin. I drove through a yellow light (I watched it as I went by), which didn't turn red until I was clear of the intersection. A block later, I was being lit up by a County Sheriff's vehicle. The deputy asked the typical question, "Do you know why I pulled you over?" I gave an honest, "No, sir." "You ran a red light back there," was his lie. He proceeded to ask me to step out of the vehicle, and sit on the curb. On my way out he asked, "You got any guns, knives, or bazookas in there?" as he pointed his flashlight into my vehicle. Again, "No, sir." I was freaking out, thinking I was going to get my first ticket only months after getting my license. After several minutes sitting on the curb, he gave me a "warning," and said I was free to go.

At the time, I only felt relief. I didn't feel anger until all these years later, when I realized the reason for the stop wasn't any legal reason, but only because what me and my passengers looked like. He took the flimsiest of excuses to pull me out of my car, and sit me on a curb to look like a criminal. My only crime was being 16, and looking how I looked. When I watch COPS, it amazes me how often this type of thing happens. Of course, the geniuses featured on that show are typically, indeed, criminals, BUT, if they were only bright enough to know their rights, a lot of them would get away scott-free. That is, unless that particular footage somehow ended up "lost," and they continued on with their rights violations. At the end of the day, most of my interactions have been positive. That first stop was the only one where it was completely unjustified. I know it's bad apples and all that, but the system needs to reform to get rid of those bad apples.
SonicVenum
Second Gear

Previous

Return to General Discussions Unrelated to Cars and Motorsports