In SoCal to renew my driver's license

Here is the forum to discuss all things non automotive. Suggestions for subforums are welcome!

In SoCal to renew my driver's license

Postby jhwalker » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:09 am

Since I will be driving the SPF Cobra Rep about 3,000 miles this fall, I decided I'd better renew my expired Cal d/l. I get stopped a lot in that car, and even tho it is usually just to check it over it always starts with license and registration, please. I don't think the Mexican d/l would be as effective.

For my "over 70" driver's license renewal, they said I had to appear in person and fog a mirror. Had to answer 18 test questions, mostly about how to run over bicyclists effectively.

I fogged the mirror, passed the touchscreen test :clap: passed the eye test :clap: and am good to go until 2020 :dance: I think.
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Re: In SoCal to renew my driver's license

Postby SonicVenum » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:59 am

Well done, James! Which office did you go to? I had the pleasure of visiting three different So Cal DMV offices in a two week span (two in one day) to register our new Explorer, apply for a duplicate title for the Mustang, and finish the registration process on the GPz. Some field offices are easier to deal with than others. Case in point, I showed up to a DMV office at 8AM, they had opened at 7:30. I got a number, B033, and waited for two hours. In that time, they went from B005 to B016. By my estimation, they wouldn't get to me until about 12:30-1PM. Luckily, my wonderful wife was all over the DMV website checking wait times at various offices. She ended up directing me to a nearby office with 10-15 min wait times. I got there, got a number, and was helped with three items before I my number would have been called at the first office. Ugh. Glad that's all over with.

So, James, in 2020, can you renew by mail or online, or will you still have to go back into an office?
SonicVenum
Second Gear

Postby jhwalker » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:28 am

SonicVenum wrote:Well done, James! Which office did you go to? I had the pleasure of visiting three different So Cal DMV offices in a two week span (two in one day) to register our new Explorer, apply for a duplicate title for the Mustang, and finish the registration process on the GPz. Some field offices are easier to deal with than others. Case in point, I showed up to a DMV office at 8AM, they had opened at 7:30. I got a number, B033, and waited for two hours. In that time, they went from B005 to B016. By my estimation, they wouldn't get to me until about 12:30-1PM. Luckily, my wonderful wife was all over the DMV website checking wait times at various offices. She ended up directing me to a nearby office with 10-15 min wait times. I got there, got a number, and was helped with three items before I my number would have been called at the first office. Ugh. Glad that's all over with.

So, James, in 2020, can you renew by mail or online, or will you still have to go back into an office?

Thousand Oaks, right next to where we are staying. Got there at 8:15 and was out, after picture taken, test taken, eye test taken by 9:00. Nice people, helpful, moving dem cattle right along. :-) I think there is an "over 70" problem. I believe I will have to visit an office again in 5 years, but :pray: I would be happy to still need to take a test in 2020. :-D
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Postby SonicVenum » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:39 am

Did you have an appointment? I forgot to mention I didn't have one for any of my visits. I must admit, that if you have an appointment, you're in and out pretty quick. Unfortunately, any office even remotely close to me didn't have an available appointment for a few weeks.

Yeah, you and Pat are exemplary senior citizens. You guys should have an exemption. ;)
SonicVenum
Second Gear

Postby jhwalker » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:35 am

SonicVenum wrote:Did you have an appointment? I forgot to mention I didn't have one for any of my visits. I must admit, that if you have an appointment, you're in and out pretty quick. Unfortunately, any office even remotely close to me didn't have an available appointment for a few weeks.

Yeah, you and Pat are exemplary senior citizens. You guys should have an exemption. ;)

I have an appointment this afternoon that I will cancel at another DMV location. I just took a chance, got there at 8am and had G010 as a number (for license changes). Had NO idea that I would have to take a test. (the over 70 factor???) But the test was see spot run simple. :whistle:
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Postby Tetge » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:57 am

jhwalker wrote:
SonicVenum wrote:Did you have an appointment? I forgot to mention I didn't have one for any of my visits. I must admit, that if you have an appointment, you're in and out pretty quick. Unfortunately, any office even remotely close to me didn't have an available appointment for a few weeks.

I have an appointment this afternoon that I will cancel at another DMV location. I just took a chance, got there at 8am and had G010 as a number (for license changes). Had NO idea that I would have to take a test. (the over 70 factor???) But the test was see spot run simple. :whistle:

I studied for the driving test, but, as you stated it was easy. I concentrated on the motorcycle handbook as prior experience taught me that the written test is not sensible, and, I almost failed it anyway. I assume that you do not need a special endorsement in Mexico to ride a motorcycle, and, that if you ever do come to the US on a motorcycle, you can drive on your Mexican license as a visitor. Because if that were not true, you would have to get the CA motorcycle endorsement and I really do not know what that involves. But, perhaps you already have had it, now that I think about it, since you went on a street ride with me and Brakelate some years ago, so your must have had the correct licenses and insurance as my motorcycle insurance requires that I have the proper license.
Tetge
Fourth Gear

Postby jhwalker » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:11 pm

I have a Mexican Motorcycle Driver's License. The state of automation is such that I have 2 d/l's for Mexico. HELL! I just looked at my Mexican car/truck license and it expired on July 9!!! BLEEP!!!! :doh: I will be pulled thru another knothole... It's all too much, I tells ya...
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Return to General Discussions Unrelated to Cars and Motorsports