Alex WINS Search for a Champion! Signs multi-year contract!

These forums are for automotive and related discussions not classified in sections below.

Re: Alex WINS Search for a Champion! Signs multi-year contra

Postby Brakelate » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:04 pm

:shock:

Yes, hardly a competitive bone in your body!

:lol:

I'm just joking around, stirring the pot. I say I would like to see the boot, and that is the truth. NOTHING is cooler than old pics, gear and the recollections of those who happened to have been around (and survived) the great early years of motorbiking.

That Sandy Wash Pic of Tetge, flat out, hair in the wind, sunglasses and workboots being his only form of protection is simply priceless.
Mike the Bike has some amazing stuff too. Usually you guys are too modest to post it up, or these things have been lost to the passage of time (aided by crazy ass ex wives, girlfriends, dogs who eat stuff, apartment fires and god knows what else). SO, those things that do happen to survive and be with us here today I happen to hold in the highest regard.

I have some old pics (on film!) of my early years, both shredding around Turnbull Canyon Rd, Azusa Cyn.out past the East Fork, and then there are the off road trips and racing. Somewhere, I have shots of my races at long lost MX parks and secret off road ride spots. They take me back to a place in time that I will never see again, and it cracks me up.

Point being, don't be shy. Post up what you have and share it with the rest of us. It churns up many strong feelings, of friendship, good times, fear, pain and most importantly, they combine to demand RESPECT. For those who went out there and did it, and motivates those who may go try it today.

Speaking of which; What the hell ever happened to those crazy bastigs The1904kid, Norm and the others???
Brakelate
Third Gear

Postby jhwalker » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:46 pm

Brakelate wrote::shock:

Yes, hardly a competitive bone in your body!

:lol:

I'm just joking around, stirring the pot. I say I would like to see the boot, and that is the truth. NOTHING is cooler than old pics, gear and the recollections of those who happened to have been around (and survived) the great early years of motorbiking.

That Sandy Wash Pic of Tetge, flat out, hair in the wind, sunglasses and workboots being his only form of protection is simply priceless.
Mike the Bike has some amazing stuff too. Usually you guys are too modest to post it up, or these things have been lost to the passage of time (aided by crazy ass ex wives, girlfriends, dogs who eat stuff, apartment fires and god knows what else). SO, those things that do happen to survive and be with us here today I happen to hold in the highest regard.

I have some old pics (on film!) of my early years, both shredding around Turnbull Canyon Rd, Azusa Cyn.out past the East Fork, and then there are the off road trips and racing. Somewhere, I have shots of my races at long lost MX parks and secret off road ride spots. They take me back to a place in time that I will never see again, and it cracks me up.

Point being, don't be shy. Post up what you have and share it with the rest of us. It churns up many strong feelings, of friendship, good times, fear, pain and most importantly, they combine to demand RESPECT. For those who went out there and did it, and motivates those who may go try it today.

Speaking of which; What the hell ever happened to those crazy bastigs The1904kid, Norm and the others???

I would like to see all of the old pics, although in the late 60's with the state of photography for me (nomoney) there was much less stuff recorded. I hoped that some of the '60's small town newspapers would make it to the web sooner of later, but with consolidation of papers, when I inquired about 66-67-68 Central Florida papers being loaded to the web at my 50th high school reunion, I got a big laugh in response.

"crazy ass ex wives" Yes, divorce didn't help -- looking for ways to hurt me, my first wife managed to destroy most of my old motorcycle and car folders, such as they were. Typically, she HATED my 1969 Datsun 2000 Fairlady that I had tinkered with and turned into a goofy sleeper, and during the divorce she insisted on getting the Datsun and the VW hippie bus that I had hopped up (beeg! bore) the engine in to the point that it COULD get out of its own way, leaving me with only a 1966 VW that had been built from two different wrecked cars, had no radio, had the manual reserve lever, and a 1200 cc engine. Hell hath no fury... :lol:

I found some old Super-8 film from the right era (late 60s) that was not thrown out, and keep meaning to take it to the USA to see if they can unwind it without it breaking -- and digitize it -- and see if there is any treasure there -- and found a couple of old pics on a Hodaka 100 that was punched out to maybe 115 :lol: and I put straight-cut gears in to drive all of the dogs crazy with the whine and pick up 1/5 HP... And I have a couple of pictures of the Bultaco. Need to find that stuff.

But not even a picture left of the boot or even the 250 Ducati flat-tracker which was sweet (I promise, no lie) :-D

Maybe someone asks Tim to make a history forum.
Hell, there might ALREADY be a history forum. I would never post anything of historical value in this abortion of a thread... :dance:
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Postby 03_SONIC_BLUR » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:33 pm

The Kart Krash pick would slap him back into line
03_SONIC_BLUR
First Gear

Postby jhwalker » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:47 pm

03_SONIC_BLUR wrote:The Kart Krash pick would slap him back into line

The Kart Krash pushed a bulging disc that had resisted doctor's efforts back into place. :lol: But a doctor who was scheduled to operate on my shoulder the week following the Krash and had asked me to try to avoid any form of physical trauma prior to the operation did ask "What the hell!".

I really liked that shifter kart, but it was NOT the right toy to buy at 65 or so. :whistle:
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Postby Tetge » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:19 pm

Shifter karts do not kill people, people do.
Tetge
Fourth Gear

Postby Brakelate » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:35 pm

Kart Day. Another one of those simple dates with little to no expectations for anything noteworthy to happen. And, more often than not, those are the ones that leave memories, scars and price tags that last a lifetime.

Thanks Again.

Why can't we get another Cobalt Test Drive events going? That was epic in it's own right! Auto-x, tire kicking, new car intros and test drives and more importantly, the incredible experience of driving there and back with a group of Hooligans!

Ahh, the memories. Wish I knew what I had, when we had it. Hell, at this point, I would gladly go back to LACR on a WED night just to get bitched out by that semi attractive Vietnamese Gal, spin the entire length of the track on that ZX-12R, watch Tetge blast the final Trap Speed cones / signal box at 130+ and not even break a sweat after cutting his front tire through the chords, or better yet, live once again one of the many passes against Tetge and his amazing Hayabusa, absolutely glued off his left rear quarter panel within arms reach, in a silent bubble of air, watching the "dirty air" vacume suck his high dollar flannel shirt up to the middle of his back, exposing his ass crack as he speed shifted deep past the timing lights, just so we could see if we could get our $20 worth and nudge the 140 mph barrier before clamping down with full force, shedding speed as if caught by a carrier's arrester hook to make the latter of Three turn outs onto the return road before running head long into the chickenwire and sand traps at the end of that relic of a quarter mile dragstrip.

We always managed to Get stopped, and not the fine talcum powdered dust driven by 30 mph cross winds past the end of the grand stands, the complete lack of visibility due to a chilled, fogged up helmet visor nor flooded racing line, nor ruptured tire could keep us from lining back up again and making "just one more PASS.

God Speed LACR. RIP and may you live on in our memories forever! :auto-layrubber:
Brakelate
Third Gear

Postby jhwalker » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:24 pm

You left out Bernie. What a character!
Jay
Did you join us after Carlsbad, or did you manage to get down there? It made LACR look like Pamona Raceway. C-Bad was like an outtake from Deliverance. They were Chevy all the way, but at the end gave grudging respect to the group of Terminators that came down and destroyed their beloved Chebbies . The bathrooms were like overgrown outhouses. We had the famous bee attack at a driver's meeting that sent us all running away.

The drives down were out of control, the drives back equally. The redeeming feature -- the best D/A anywhere that we could get to. It closed early 2005 and thanks to the loss of a lot of history I don't remember the date of the last event.

Piggie (RIP) ran a 128, a 127 and several 125s down there. Never ran quicker than 11.51 there but that was a good time back in 2004. One weekend, B&D Brian (who was a shifting fool) and I had a bet on who could get Piggie down the track fastest (he did most of the work on Piggie) and he ran 11.51 with a slight engine cut-out on a shift, and then I followed with an 11.51 (no cut-out) with a 128 speed (best ever for Piggie). Piggie was wearing skinnies and stopping from that speed was pretty exciting.

After Carlsbad closed, there was primarily LACR, which provided endless fun.
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Postby 03_SONIC_BLUR » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:13 pm

I miss the good old days. I wish I had pics. I wish I had the super 8 film from the ride down the aqueduct

Speaking of LACR, I heard from someone who was at Fontana on Sunday that (Stop me if this seems familiar) it was so Windy, they had to reduce the track to 1/8th mile because the crosswind at the end of the track was too high to let cars go at top speed

If I had pictures from events attended they would include Lions Drag Strip, Carlsbad MX, Indian Dunes Trans-AMA races, Drags at Irwindale (The old 1/4 mile track) OCIR and that list goes on. Riding my dirt bikes at Red Rock, Ballinger, Bean and Jawbone, Muntz (Yes, Mad Man Muntz) Cycle Park in Moorpark and the little track in Balcom Canyon called Bay Mare, Indian Dunes....
03_SONIC_BLUR
First Gear

Postby jhwalker » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:44 pm

03_SONIC_BLUR wrote:I miss the good old days. I wish I had pics. I wish I had the super 8 film from the ride down the aqueduct

Speaking of LACR, I heard from someone who was at Fontana on Sunday that (Stop me if this seems familiar) it was so Windy, they had to reduce the track to 1/8th mile because the crosswind at the end of the track was too high to let cars go at top speed

If I had pictures from events attended they would include Lions Drag Strip, Carlsbad MX, Indian Dunes Trans-AMA races, Drags at Irwindale (The old 1/4 mile track) OCIR and that list goes on. Riding my dirt bikes at Red Rock, Ballinger, Bean and Jawbone, Muntz (Yes, Mad Man Muntz) Cycle Park in Moorpark and the little track in Balcom Canyon called Bay Mare, Indian Dunes....

That would have been serious treasure. But back in the day, it usually seemed like there were those who RODE and others who documented.
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Postby Brakelate » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:25 am

jhwalker wrote:Jay
Did you join us after Carlsbad, or did you manage to get down there?

I missed the Terminator days at Carlsbad. I was over running the MX track. My first "real" race was there in '88. I saw the dragstrip as I came and went, and it looked like it was a time warp right out of the early '50's.

There were some crazy, home brewed MX courses around as well. I recall "Sunrise Cycle Park", which was a fancy name for Adelanto Speedway... home of the infamous Adelanto GP from years gone by. But, by the time I got there it was more like PorkChop Hill. Helicopters and Meat Wagons departing every five minutes, hauling away the broken bodies. And this, just on a casual weekend of racing. I too knocked the living snot out of myself there, but rather than take an expensive ride, they poured me into an old Toyota pick up in 110 deg heat and took whatever the flies didn't eat back to Lancaster to dump on my porch for my wife to later find.

Back to dragstrips, I sure was glad Tetge and I made that one last trip out to Inyo-Kern Airport. At least we can say we ran it, before it was mothballed.

Amazing any of us survived.
Brakelate
Third Gear

PreviousNext

Return to General Automotive Discussions