Daily Post

Discussions specifically relating to the operation of this forum, suggestions, problems, etc.

Re: Daily Post

Postby xjrguy » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:58 pm

Yes, it is all happening today.

I am banning IP addresses and email addresses too, and then deleting the offending user.
2015 Prius Five
2016 Challenger Hellcat
2016 Grand Cherokee Summit EcoDiesel
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited AEV Upgrades
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe 460/C6
2010 Kawasaki Concours 1400 ABS with some farkles
xjrguy
Site Admin

Postby Tetge » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:09 pm

I am assigning this problem to one of my people. :-D As Admin I don't get involved in the petty everyday stuff on the board. But they are still trying. Since they actually have to take several steps to register and they have to enter some scrambled letters and all that, it appears that actual people are involved so I assume that they will tire of getting no results sooner or later. But, they are never successful, and, the members of the board are never bothered by them. I also changed the board configuration so that a new member has to make some posts before they can send a PM since the spammers were registering and then sending PM's to all the members. Now I have limited a person to five member names per PM as well. We try to keep them off the board but they don't give up.
Tetge
Fourth Gear

Postby xjrguy » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:18 pm

They don't get in here....PERIOD.

I have a foolproof method to catch these bastards before they even are allowed to do anything.
:-D
2015 Prius Five
2016 Challenger Hellcat
xjrguy
Site Admin

Postby Tetge » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:29 pm

xjrguy wrote:They don't get in here....PERIOD.

I have a foolproof method to catch these bastards before they even are allowed to do anything.

Not many have got past our screening. And if they do, we just delete them and all their junk. But, for the most part, they are obvious and easy to delete although I just deleted two more today. They have been swarming onto SCT all day. Easy to delete but pests.
Tetge
Fourth Gear

Postby xjrguy » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:05 pm

Tetge wrote:

Not many have got past our screening. And if they do, we just delete them and all their junk. But, for the most part, they are obvious and easy to delete although I just deleted two more today. They have been swarming onto SCT all day. Easy to delete but pests.

NONE have gotten past my EXPERT watchdogs!!
2015 Prius Five
2016 Challenger Hellcat
xjrguy
Site Admin

Postby Tetge » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:55 pm

xjrguy wrote:
Tetge wrote:

NONE have gotten past my EXPERT watchdogs!!

Well, no disprespect intended, but, we may have had a few more than you. And, some run solo and appear on the surface to be OK. But, we don't let them in although it gets tiresom deleting 30 of them before they get the point. Time is money even for them so they give up and go away sooner or later when it is apparent that we are hardened against them.
Tetge
Fourth Gear

Postby xjrguy » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:38 am

10 more stupid fake accounts attempted this morning.................

Did someone let the wackos out of prison or something?
2015 Prius Five
2016 Challenger Hellcat
xjrguy
Site Admin

Postby Tetge » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:45 am

I have deleted at least 50 or more bad accounts in the past two days. One has to assume that they are bots at this point, but then, how are they taking all the steps necessary to complete the registration and get into the queue on SCT? It was thought that bots could not do this. Still, I have to think that ultimately the software behind all the spammers will ascertain that they are beating a dead horse. They are using so many addresses and e-mail accounts and user names that it makes it hard to add each one to a no fly list. Too much work considering the amount of hits they are generating on the site.
Tetge
Fourth Gear

Postby Tetge » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:56 am

I now know that is is bots making all the false registrants but at Vbulletin, at least, they are unable to really stop the attacks. gmail is broken and accounts are being created by the bots at will. And the bot program is sophisticated so it can complete the entire registration even if it only gets them into a queue, as on SCT. Irritating to say the least. Here is what Vbulletin has to say: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286781
Tetge
Fourth Gear

Postby xjrguy » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:57 am

I think I am going to create a "SPAM" permission group here.

Additionally, create a message forum here on the board "just" for the spam dickheads.

Set the privs up on the other forums so the "SPAM" group can't see/access/do anything other than post there shit in one forum.

If they want to waste my time, I can waste theirs.
2015 Prius Five
2016 Challenger Hellcat
xjrguy
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to LA Speed Garage Discussions and Announcements