Where are the hot Mustangs?

This is the forum to discuss Ford's high performance SVT vehicle line and other Ford Vehicles.
jhwalker
Fifth Gear

Where are the hot Mustangs?

Post by jhwalker »

As part of our "Western States Tour" Terri and I have put a lot of miles in SoCal. See all sorts of cars, but few Mustangs. The few we see are great. But we see so few. What the heck? Is LA just not the place to see Mustangs?

Tetge
Fourth Gear

Re: Where are the hot Mustangs?

Post by Tetge »

All the Mustangs left town when they heard that the new Vette was going to be at 650/650, and the Dodge was going to be 600+, and the s/c Camaro was 500+. Only the 662 HP Shelby's stayed, but, they didn't make too many of them. I still see lots of Mustangs around where I live, but, perhaps that is because I only notice vehicles that I am interested in as there are clearly a lot more SUV's of all sorts and 4 door sedans than anything else.

jhwalker
Fifth Gear

Post by jhwalker »

Tetge wrote:All the Mustangs left town when they heard that the new Vette was going to be at 650/650, and the Dodge was going to be 600+, and the s/c Camaro was 500+. Only the 662 HP Shelby's stayed, but, they didn't make too many of them. I still see lots of Mustangs around where I live, but, perhaps that is because I only notice vehicles that I am interested in as there are clearly a lot more SUV's of all sorts and 4 door sedans than anything else.
For the 1st 2 days we saw NO Mustangs. Yesterday I heard the familiar Mustang sound and there was one leaving a parking lot. Then I saw one more on the freeway. Me no likey :whistle:

Brakelate
Third Gear

Post by Brakelate »

Not to combine two threads, or intrude into your precious quality time, just the two of you on the open road, but any loose idea of when you might be up in Jackson Hole, or Colorado? I've been needing a road trip up into parts North that I have not seen in 30 years.

Maybe I could cure you with the howl of a little old 281 32 valver pulling through a gear or two up at altitude.

Besides (other than the great company, and a decent view) I was a bit disappointed over our last dinner. The steaks could have been better, and I think we were all a little to road weary to really have the energy levels up for what I have come to expect from a good "JWalker" experience.

It would be fun to try and fix that, in a scenic setting. As long as the summer resort and rental RV traffic isn't getting too bad already and clogging up the roads and good pubs.

The volume of tourists have seen a rapid and notable increase in the last week or two. They have invaded our favorite "primitive" day use / camp out / unimproved boat launch area. Most are well mannered and appreciative, primarily because I find myself towing a minimum of two out per day from the tricky access road that leads to the waterline. It starts with packed gravel and has two very soft and torn up sections of sand with the consistency of talcum powder. It's been hot and I just can't let folks ruin their vacations crawling about in the superheated sand attempting to dig themselves out or falling prey to the predatory professional tow companies that lurk the area looking for quick and easy cash.

I took the boat down to the beach yesterday in the Mighty Power Wagon, with the bed filled with coolers, inflated tubes and all the related goods for my son's middle school student council appreciation party day. On they way in, I tugged out a big Honda Mini Van from Missouri full of a Vietnamese family (damn if this thing had ZERO transportation hooks or exposed metal under it's plastic clad underbelly). And then gave a pair of wiser French ladies a ride down to the water line from the upper parking lot after watching the action from the paved visitor center lot.

Brakelate
Third Gear

Post by Brakelate »

The real workout of the day for the truck, was shore launching the boat in the sand, and later recovering it. God love those lockers and 4.56 gears. Four Low and that long wheelbase just made short work of it, while others in much larger trucks with more aggressive tires and modded motors were barely able to escape the grasp of the lakes shore (soft, chewed up powder with a good incline up from the water line) merely dragging a couple of jet skis.

Once I had the boat and related gear out and rolling (thankfully, I just drive and sip sodi pops while my rapidly growing boy (young adult, with typical endless energy and enthusiasm for a fun challenge) does all the physical work.) I came to the infamous 100 yard long "quick sand pit" that is like the modern mechanical version of the La Brea Tar Pits, trapping many a wary traveler in any and all forms of Rental cars, RV's and God knows what.

So, we came across a very nice couple from Austria in a new Camaro Convertible, stuck to the belly pan. Having the boat in tow, and being too far from hard pack for my winch line to reach with it's limited strap range (I usually hold that in reserve for the most serious of occasions regardless, especially since it is quite a bit slower in line speed and requires me to actually get out and walk on hot sand) I decided to circle around , with boat in tow, in this huge sand pit and attempt at front extraction, towing the Camaro forward with one of my straps attached to the factory D rings on the front of the 'Wagon. This required me to not only back the boat over 100 yards pushing the entire thing without getting stuck myself, all while tugging the Camaro along "behind" me from the front.

Again, the biggest challenge was finding a solid place to loop a recovery strap on the front of the rubber Camaro. Once that was done, Electric Swaybar Disconnect activated, snicked her into 4-lo, engaged both front and rear lockers, and with the tires previously aired down to 25fr / 20 rr, I slowly backed the entire spectacle the full 100+ yards out. It made for a bit of a sight, as these ruts were just about up to my pumpkins, which meant the Camaro and its air dam was about as helpful in recovering itself as a plastic snow sled sitting in a sand box.

Needless to say, this drew a crowd of onlookers. Some puzzled, some rooting us on, with others voicing with strong conviction that failure was surely to be the only result.

A tricky bit of work at the wheel to keep the whole freight train (which all wanted to go in three different directions at the same time, sliding, plowing and wallowing through the deep troughs of sand) and the incredible strength and magical capabilities of the mighty power wagon, and I was able to maneuver the entire road train back on to solid, stable ground without jack knifing the trailer, tossing a cooler, my sodi pop, the massive still inflated tube from the bed, nor ripping the front end off the squishy plastic Camaro.

So, another job well done. Nothing but praise for the Power Wagon. It was pricey, but in times such as these, as they oft too many times, it was PRICELESS.

Sadly, no photos, and I still have not unearthed my elusive GoPro. That would have made for an epic Ram Truck Commercial

Sorry for the off topic journey, but I thought I would share.

jhwalker
Fifth Gear

Post by jhwalker »

Great stuff We are in Paso Robles today, Dublin tomorrow, Bend, Oregon the next day, finally ending up in Wellington Colorado June 20-23, after Moscow Idaho, McCall Idaho, Boise Idaho, Jackson Hole Wyoming, before I head back to Mexico. There is room for you in Wellington (I will let Adam know of the possibility... )

The SPF Cobra is making 465 to the wheels and weighs 2700 lbs -- and has that same "sound". It is fun :-D

Brakelate
Third Gear

Post by Brakelate »

jhwalker wrote:

The SPF Cobra is making 465 to the wheels and weighs 2700 lbs -- and has that same "sound". It is fun :-D
Excellent! :clap:
I would like to get together for an evening of cheer and catching up, but not want to intrude on any family plans. I will look at a good old paper map and see where Wellington is, and if any of this could be tied together without much effort, or if it will become to much trouble for everyone involved and evaporate.

jhwalker
Fifth Gear

Post by jhwalker »

Brakelate wrote:
jhwalker wrote:

Excellent! :clap:
I would like to get together for an evening of cheer and catching up, but not want to intrude on any family plans. I will look at a good old paper map and see where Wellington is, and if any of this could be tied together without much effort, or if it will become to much trouble for everyone involved and evaporate.
It is a plan. We left Paso Robles at 11am and are in Modesto now visiting relatives. We will plan for it. MapQuest it. :-)

SonicVenum
Second Gear

Post by SonicVenum »

Jay, if you contact Daimler/Chrysler with even a fraction of your Tail of Triumph in the Mighty Power Wagon, they'll send you 5 brand spanking new GoPros to capture your future adventures for commercials! :mrgreen:

Return to “Ford and SVT”