Ford Racing's 5.2 Coyote Crate engine

This is the forum to discuss Ford's high performance SVT vehicle line and other Ford Vehicles.

Ford Racing's 5.2 Coyote Crate engine

Postby jhwalker » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:27 am

jhwalker
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 2537
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:04 pm
Location: Central Mexico
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Ford Racing's 5.2 Coyote Crate engine

Postby Tetge » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:16 pm

Naturally Ford has raised the bar. They may have learned this from you.
User avatar
Tetge
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 2328
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:00 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Ford Racing's 5.2 Coyote Crate engine

Postby jhwalker » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:31 pm

Tetge wrote:Naturally Ford has raised the bar. They may have learned this from you.


:lol: Is the clinical term for what I do "compensation"?

I really look forward to tracking the SPF with the current tune. I worry about the rear end, a bit about the ability to manage the heat, and a bit about the clutch, but I have always been gentle on cars. Probably because I never had a decent, fast car until after I was over 55 years old (loser!), I learned to nurse what I had. With Piggie, my first fast car, I NEVER shocked the drivetrain, preferring to just treat buying a new clutch every so often as part of the cost to play at the track. Yes, not the absolute fastest way down the track but one that worked ok for me and felt good to me. The SPF never ran more than a hair faster than Piggie because I was not willing to air the tires down sufficiently. And because I couldn't practice because I was tossed from tracks with the SPF :angry-screaming:

Anyway, that is why I have proposed the 40 to 120 (140, 160?) acceleration tests at the May SPF event in Nebraska. I have some vulnerable components, and I would like to preserve them.
jhwalker
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 2537
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:04 pm
Location: Central Mexico
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Ford Racing's 5.2 Coyote Crate engine

Postby Tetge » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:40 pm

Perhaps you have forgotten Piggie with steam coming out from under the hood? And, hot lapping that poor car while flogging it almost to death in search of an elusive number? Most vehicles would have exploded and died, but, those SVT Cobras were really stout, in spite of having some weak spots in the drive train, such as half shafts and, initially, TOB sleeves on the trans. But, if one were willing to get new clutches, it did preserve the rest of the drive train fairly well, although I did find that when 60' times got into the 1.5x area, the diff and trans became vulnerable, even if the clutch was not dumped. And, PMoody broke a half shaft at Famoso on his 1->2 shift, so, super fast hard shifting was risky.

But, when I have watched videos of road racers, I have always thought to myself that they do not know how to shift manual transmissions quickly. Since this appears universal, there must be a reason. So, the risks of shocking the drive train would seem to be less on a road course where being smooth is rewarded, even if it gives away a bit of drag racing quickness on the straights.
User avatar
Tetge
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 2328
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:00 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Ford Racing's 5.2 Coyote Crate engine

Postby jhwalker » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:48 pm

Tetge wrote:Perhaps you have forgotten Piggie with steam coming out from under the hood? And, hot lapping that poor car while flogging it almost to death in search of an elusive number? Most vehicles would have exploded and died, but, those SVT Cobras were really stout, in spite of having some weak spots in the drive train, such as half shafts and, initially, TOB sleeves on the trans. But, if one were willing to get new clutches, it did preserve the rest of the drive train fairly well, although I did find that when 60' times got into the 1.5x area, the diff and trans became vulnerable, even if the clutch was not dumped. And, PMoody broke a half shaft at Famoso on his 1->2 shift, so, super fast hard shifting was risky.

But, when I have watched videos of road racers, I have always thought to myself that they do not know how to shift manual transmissions quickly. Since this appears universal, there must be a reason. So, the risks of shocking the drive train would seem to be less on a road course where being smooth is rewarded, even if it gives away a bit of drag racing quickness on the straights.


Oh, I remember that well. :lol: :lol: I think that was when I was trying whatever that was -- The Killa Chilla or something like that when I was playing with a 6lb lower... I spent WAY too much money on dyno runs with that set of lowers I bought (memory fades, but seems like a 2, a 4, a 6 and an 8 lb lower, and 4 uppers -- The funny part was that the most effective for me was the 2.80 with the stock lower. The other lowers created a torque bulge around 4500 rpm that broke traction in 3rd gear when I always assumed it was pedal to the metal. :whistle: tinker,tinker, tinker. :-D
jhwalker
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 2537
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:04 pm
Location: Central Mexico
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Ford Racing's 5.2 Coyote Crate engine

Postby Tetge » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:00 pm

I also still remember well the time that you conned Danny Swanson into putting your car on his dyno. I'd give more details, but, how does one describe the results of that?
User avatar
Tetge
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 2328
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:00 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Ford Racing's 5.2 Coyote Crate engine

Postby jhwalker » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:28 pm

Tetge wrote:I also still remember well the time that you conned Danny Swanson into putting your car on his dyno. I'd give more details, but, how does one describe the results of that?


:lol: That was a many-cigarette day for Danny boy...

Fun times, for sure...
jhwalker
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 2537
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:04 pm
Location: Central Mexico
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Ford Racing's 5.2 Coyote Crate engine

Postby 03_SONIC_BLUR » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:34 am

I can just imagine smoke billowing from his shop, and some unsuspecting soul thinking the building or maybe something in it on fire
03_SONIC_BLUR
First Gear
 
Posts: 451
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 11:39 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Ford Racing's 5.2 Coyote Crate engine

Postby SonicVenum » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:25 am

The good ol' days! :lol: I never did have the pleasure of meeting Danny in person, but you fellas sure make him sound like a peach. I suppose I'm lucky Steve doesn't smoke, or I'd likely have black lung from all the time I spent in his shop over the years. Now, how trick/stealth would it be to squeeze this 5.2 into an '03 Explorer? :mrgreen:
SonicVenum
Second Gear
 
Posts: 659
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:25 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Ford Racing's 5.2 Coyote Crate engine

Postby jhwalker » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:31 pm

SonicVenum wrote:The good ol' days! :lol: I never did have the pleasure of meeting Danny in person, but you fellas sure make him sound like a peach. I suppose I'm lucky Steve doesn't smoke, or I'd likely have black lung from all the time I spent in his shop over the years. Now, how trick/stealth would it be to squeeze this 5.2 into an '03 Explorer? :mrgreen:


Planning is fun... I for a little while was seriously planning to put an Eaton on the Expedition (that now has 1/4 of a million miles on it and still tows like a champ) , more towing than not... It was just to let it tow a little better. :-D
jhwalker
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 2537
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:04 pm
Location: Central Mexico
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Next

Return to Ford and SVT

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron