37th annual Melo Velo wrapup

Thruxton71
Noob

37th annual Melo Velo wrapup

Post by Thruxton71 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:46 pm

I organize a yearly rally which on paper is a place for Velocette riders to meet and greet over food and refreshments, with an interested ride thrown in. This year it was held at 'The Place' in Ventucopa, a 'rustic' location with a dirt back yard to camp in, an all you can eat dinner and breakfast, and root beer and real beer on tap. The root beer is from the Indian Wells Brewing Company and is my favorite.
This year we were honoring a fallen friend, Mick Felder, who died after an accident on an all brit ride out of Hansen Dam. He was part of an every shrinking group of Southern California Velocette riders, and will be missed.
In past versions of this rally there were quite a few Velocettes, but I was happy to have a Velo count of 8 this year, much better than last time. One guy rode up from Norwalk on a 500 swing arm Velocette, others trucked in, and my Nephew and I rode in from Ojai on Velos. We had a GTP show up (a rare two stroke Velocette built from 1930 to 1946... at least rare in the US), a Thruxton, 2 MACs, and 4 Swing Arm (SA) 500 singles, all Venoms, which had the hot cam (an '8' cam) but not the ported and flowed head that the Thruxton has.
After the 'hor duerves' were consumed and much tire kicking was engaged in, an all you can eat dinner of chicken, bratwurst, potatoes, sour kraut, rolls and salad was available. This is a local high point out there in the middle of no where, and this is the only local restaurant, so there was a crowd. Then the band started!
The attendees ended up sitting around a large fire built in the pit in the back, no worry about safety, dirt doesn't burn. Scotch and beer were consumed, stories told, and I handed out some dumb awards. Eventually all turned in.
The next morning was an early breakfast followed by a ride to Pine Mountain Club clockwise.. that is, up 33 to 166, to Hudson ranch road, and follow your nose to Pine Mountain club, a long climb. I was riding a 1952 MAC, so the climb was slow. That may have been a blessing, as we encountered three (3) CHP cruisers hiding in bushes on the route. Things looked up (or down) after that, as there is a descent into the Frazier Park area, then a right on Lockwood Valley road, a real interesting bit of pavement. We had one breakdown, the mag on the GTP packed up and ended up on the chase truck. Finally, we return to 'The Place' for lunch, load the trucks, and everyone heads home. My nephew and I and a few others headed back over 33 to Ojai. It was a nice descent once I gained the mountain top, but we were slowed down by a downed power line near Ojai! They let the bikes to the front of the line and allowed us to push under the wires and continue, so for once the motorcycles were given priority without being ass holes. That was nice.
So, no crashed, no tickets, just good clean fun on old crocks. What more can one ask for??

Velo in Ojai.

Tetge
Fourth Gear

Re: 37th annual Melo Velo wrapup

Post by Tetge » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:33 am

Eight Velocettes? Did they even ever sell that many? At least there is only dirt at The Place, so, no issues with all the oil leaked onto the ground. Too bad that I could not get there, as GoPro video would have been nice, but, it is a murderous ride across vast flat and barren lands from my place to Ventucopa, which is literally in the middle of nowhere, and I have no way to transport a motorcycle other than by riding it. My KTM would literally vibrate a person to jelly on such a ride, as long straight highways at a steady 55 mph, are not its forte at all. And, caging to a motorcycle ride is not logical to my Vulcan trained mind. But, it would have been interesting to see and hear eight Velocettes all in one spot.

Live long and prosper.

xbacksideslider
Second Gear

Post by xbacksideslider » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:04 pm

Sorry I missed the record turnout of Velos, Tim.

If it is any consolation, I inflicted the KTM on the combined BSA and Norton clubs' Mt Baldy Ride.
We went up the East Fork, 39 side and on to Baldy Village for lunch.

On the way down to Glendora, I'd never run the KTM on the highway at 70 or 80 for near an hour straight and in doing so I discovered that the right side rear turn signal can be melted right off the bike by that high right exhaust pipe :doh: Oh, well, time to fix the dang turn signals anyway.

Other than that, the KTM was the perfect tool for that tight goat path Depression era road.

It was probably for the best that I missed Melo Velo as I likely would have been apprehended by those concealed tax collecting highwaymen. :law-policered:

Tetge
Fourth Gear

Post by Tetge » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:23 pm

There have been some reports of melting turn signals as an issue on high pipe models. Also surprised that you still have a license, having briefly observed your riding pace. I say briefly since I have never been able to keep you in sight for longer than a moment. So, it is surprising that you do get napped by an ever increasing enforcement presence.

Return to “Velocette”