Another first ride in months.

Thruxton71
Noob

Another first ride in months.

Post by Thruxton71 »

Geeze.. it seems like this is a common theme for me. I am now recovering from prostate surgery, and it is a bitch, but I managed to get out last Sunday on my Suzuki, and plan to take out my Velocette this coming Sunday. I ride with a bunch of old guys (like me), who gather at the 'Y' in Ojai on Sunday morning. They were glad to see me roll up, but I wasn't super comfortable with the lack of social distancing. As soon as I could I saddled up and headed up 33. I was alone most of the way up, and fine with that. There is a light about 10 miles in, and I hit the red, waiting behind a Honda Africa Twin that left before us from the same station. I had to follow him for a while, as the Suzuki doesn't have the grunt for a fast pass between corners at the speed he was running (on the short straights). Finally we got to a longer straight and I pulled out at the same time he faded to the right, having decided to be polite I suppose. After that it was a clear road with some interesting sections, but not enough. I stopped at a pullout where you can see the channel islands, which were sticking up out of an off shore fog bank, and the rest of the boys filtered in. I said goodbye, and headed back down. The light, which at times is a five minute wait, was green, and I had the road to myself. That made the health trials of the last .. oh.. at least 6 months, fade away while I focused on my lines and the next corner.

SonicVenum
Second Gear

Re: Another first ride in months.

Post by SonicVenum »

Glad you were able to have some fun to help you heal up! :clap:

Thruxton71
Noob

Post by Thruxton71 »

Last week I rode my 1966 Velocette Endurance, a 500cc single that has been ridden hard and put away wet it's whole life with me, which is practically from new, back in the 70s. It didn't want to start, but I rolled it down the hill next to our house and it thundered to life. At the gas station, when we were ready to leave, for the first time in a very long time I couldn't kick it to life and had to accept a push start. Bunch of old guys pushing another old guy around.. recipe for a visit to the emergency room with a heart condition.. but it finally started moving on it's own. We rode to Santa Paula, and I didn't turn if off till I pulled into my driveway, home again. The ride was interesting.. there are two good sections in the road from Ojai to Santa Paula. One, a very short and tight climb out of Ojai which we refer to as Dennison Grade, and two, the longer descent into Santa Paula, where the Thomas fire left it's marks to this day. My son in law showed up on his new Suzuiki GSX-S750, and one can tell that our sedate pace is not exciting enough for him, so he ran away. I stopped at the entrance to town and waited for him to notice, as we both were skipping breakfast with the Covid boys, him to return for work, I to hasten home to a friendly bathroom (surgery, still recovering). The ride back was a little more interesting, I was pushing the old Velo a bit more, and it will maintain sane high speeds.. nothing in the 100s, but we did see 85 passing a very stubborn SUV. I was primed to descend Dennison grade, one of my favorite rides, but we were held up by traffic, and of all things, motorcycle traffic! Not to self.. I need to check the plug and points, maybe they need to be freshened up. But once running, it sure runs well.

This morning I dragged out my 1970 Triumph Daytona for a local classic ride, up Highway 33. My son in law showed again, and disappeared up the hill, to be stopped by the light about 15 miles in. Will they ever finish the construction? The road slumped and washed away in this particular spot twice in the last few years, so it looks like they are not wanting to deal with this again. Serious reinforcement in the way of sturdy pilings with layers and layers of base. I am thinking it may the last part of the road remaining after the zombie apocalyptic s . I got off the front, but the suzuki soon gathered me in and floated away up the road. Some of the oncoming traffic made me think of this site.. what looked like 2 fully kitted new Mustangs roared by, being tailed by a BMW sedan with a freaking wing. WHAT? We gathered at a stopping spot we call "Lynn's Leap" in honor of a deceased fellow rider who tried to jump off the road near here riding a 750 Triumph, filling his helmet with dirt, and walking away. Interestingly enough, riding was not what finally caught up with him. Years of bad living, I suppose. Son in law and I turned around here, he off the front, and while I kept him in sight for quite a while, he was long gone by the time I rolled into Ojai. Ah, to be young and fast.

The rest of the motley crew, corvair trike, 650 Triumph, 1200 BMW, Guzzi 650, suzuki DR650SE, Miata, all headed over the hill to 'The Place' to share germs. Did I say that? Oh well, I have seen enough of the inside of the hospital for a while. No use taking chances.

Tetge
Fourth Gear

Post by Tetge »

Must be nice to ride, especially living at the base of Hwy 33, which is a genuine good road, although fast compared to slower more technically demanding roads, and dangerous in part due to the speeds. I used to ride, so, I am envious. I'd inquire if your son in law was shooting video, but, it sounds as if he would not have got any video of the old bikes and the old guys since he was off the front and gone. One wonders why such as he even join up with a group ride? I did see my motorcycle sittihjg in my garage a few days ago, but, suiting up and riding in the heat is too strenuous for me.... Hence the envy.

Return to “Velocette”