An Easter ride on the NOT Thruxton

Thruxton71
Noob

An Easter ride on the NOT Thruxton

Post by Thruxton71 »

My Mikuni enrichment lever repaired, and a replacement battery secured and installed, I was ready to fire up the 1971 (16th from the last one built) Thruxton to see if it really would not seize anymore. Petcocks turned to on, right foot peg folded up to allow the kick starter to swing past, and the mystery of Velo Starting begins. After much fiddling with various options (enrichment on or off?, where to set the manual ignition advance, how much throttle to open, and where in the stroke of the piston to start?) it finally fired up and set into a nice idle, as if this was an easy thing to do, get started.
Even though I was not in riding gear (shorts, T shirt, tennis shoes) I was so excited I grabbed my helmet and headed out for a test ride. The further I got away from my house, the worse the bike ran, until, at the base of Highway 33 (about a mile + from the house) it stopped completely.

What?

More kicking and fiddling ensued. A nice person stopped (out of California License plates, which explains everything) with a motorcycle tshirt and offered to help, even to try kicking it. I must have looked knackered. I turned down the offer, as the kickback on a Thruxton can be dangerous to un-expecting knees and ankles. But, he was good moral support, and the Thruxton finally fired up. As he drove away, it stalled again, but I was able to coax it back to life, heading quickly back toward the house.

The next day was Easter Sunday, and while I wanted to take the Thruxton out, it clearly was not ready for prime time. So, the next morning I rolled the ever reliable and easy to ride Suzuki DRZ-SM out of the Garage and met up with the small Moto Guzzi and the Miata. Small Guzzi (V65) suggested we head out to 'The Place' in Ventucopa, a 100 mile round trip for a breakfast that may not be available on Easter day. Sure, why not? The Suzuki eats up Highway 33 with ease and comfort, and can cruise comfortably at ticket level speeds.

It was a wonderful ride, and yes, 'The Place' was closed, so I came home and made my own breakfast.

And the Thruxton? Well, it sat for several months since the last time it ran well, so I was thinking maybe some stale gas in the carb got a little sticky, as the new 'gas' can do if left standing. We really shouldn't call it 'gas' anymore, but that is what we got. After consultation with the marine engineer who helped me bring my MAC electrics back to life, we decided to pour some 'Sea Foam' in the gas and run it for a while to clean up any deposits that could effect running. If that didn't work, the Mikuni comes off very easily.

So, the next day I was going to offer up some Sea Foam to the Thruxton tank, and opening the fuel cap, discovered what may be the real problem. I could see bare metal all the way on the bottom of the tank. So, instead of just Sea Foam, I need to add some Gas!! Stayed tuned to this thread for an update!!!

SonicVenum
Second Gear

Re: An Easter ride on the NOT Thruxton

Post by SonicVenum »

No better way to keep the fuel in your bike from going stale than to not leave any in it! :lol:

Thruxton71
Noob

Re: An Easter ride on the NOT Thruxton

Post by Thruxton71 »

I have heard several opinions on that issue. Some say to fill the tank and put in stabilizer. Water is our enemy, as in condensation. The real trick is to run it on a regular schedule. I have a friend in SB who owns a barn full of flat head Fords, and he has a starting and warm up routine he follows. Very disciplined, he is. I am lucky I can spell that big a word :).

Return to “Velocette”