Olympic mouse trapping :-)

Re: Olympic mouse trapping :-)

Postby jhwalker » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:55 am

Tetge wrote:
SonicVenum wrote:I would too, if I saw even an single mouse or rat around here. Though, when I mentioned it to Rach, she was immediately sad for the poor little dead mice. Empathy is always her first reaction.

Any cool videos on how to get rid of a gopher? We have a new front lawn, I've started noticing the telltale piles of dirt.

Get some traps like the one pictured. Chain two of them together with a adequate length allowed so that you can open one of the active mounds and carefully find the two tunnels leading from the mound. Then you very carefully set each trap and put them way up into each tunnel. You then leave the mound OPEN, and when the gopher comes to close it, SNAP. Getting the traps far up into each tunnel is one of the keys and I always wore gloves to help eliminate scents. It might take a bit of practice, but, you know when you have been successful!

Chaining the traps together, and some even stake the chain, is necessary as the gopher may take the trap underground in their struggle to escape, and you also need a way to pull the lousy rodent out after you bag it. Some clean the traps after each catch to avoid any scent of death on it, but, who knows? I do know that the traps work as I have caught many a gopher in the past.

IMPORTANT: Gophers are rodents and they multiply quickly so ignoring them is a bad idea. The longer you wait, the harder they will be to eliminate as they breed like rodents. And, the horse people that I knew were not fond of gophers as a horse can break its leg due to a collapsing gopher hole and a human can sprain an ankle. You also can not flood a gopher out as their tunnels are too flood proof.

GopherTrap.JPG

When the Rodent Whisperer speaks, we listen :clap:
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Postby SonicVenum » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:18 am

I'll see if the gardener has traps like that. If not, I'll get some. Definitely don't want those little bastards multiplying! :doh:
SonicVenum
Second Gear

Postby xbacksideslider » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:54 am

Amazingly, this time Tetge's correct. :shock: :lol: :geek:

Seriously, that kind of trap is the only one that really works, called MacAfee IIRC, not cheap but now there are Chinese knock offs. U.S. made ones work better - built by people who know why/what they are doing. The traps can be a bit of a puzzle to figure out how to set them. A piece of freshly chewed Juicy Fruit gum stuck onto the paddle accelerates the process and seems to temp them into not do their usual thing of plugging the tunnel by pushing dirt onto the trap.

At one time I had five or six of the things in continuous use and my mornings were dedicated to resetting the things. I got rid of the gophers only to be re-infested from neighbors' yards. Now with the drought and LADWP "estimating" my meter, I quit watering and bingo, no more gophers.
xbacksideslider
Second Gear

Postby jhwalker » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:43 pm

xbacksideslider wrote:Amazingly, this time Tetge's correct. :shock: :lol: :geek:

:lol:
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Postby Tetge » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:41 pm

The reason why you locate both tunnels and put the traps WAY UP each tunnel is exactly the fact that furry critters do push dirt up to close things up again, but they do not push the dirt for miles. And, we never stuck no gum on our traps. But, gophers are difficult to get rid of for sure and you can check on how often they reproduce and how many little gophers are in each batch on the net, to see why delaying is not a good idea. The trap I pictured was at Home Depot for ~$10.40 a pair, so they should be available.

I also suggest that you watch Caddy Shack, as it sums the gopher game very nicely, and makes the movie a classic.

PS: As Walker knows, rats are a lot smarter than gophers, but, then again, they have to be, what with all the travel and all. Just saying............
Tetge
Fourth Gear

Postby xbacksideslider » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:20 pm

Tetge - you didn't look at my link . . . . the one that blows up their tunnels with oxy/Aceteylene. :clap:
xbacksideslider
Second Gear

Postby SonicVenum » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:04 am

Update on our gopher situation: It would seem our burrowing little friend has moved to the back yard. That's good new because our front yard has new grass and landscaping that he was ruining. I've been noticing little holes in the back yard now, and our dog seems to have been digging a little more than usual. I think he's been playing with the gopher by digging at the gopher holes. That's okay for now because we don't plan on doing the back yard until early next year. Our pest control guy is making his quarterly visit today, so we'll see if he can take care of the lil guy before we fix it all up.
SonicVenum
Second Gear

Postby xbacksideslider » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:43 pm

". . . .take care of the little guy . . . "

How euphemistic and kind. :violin: when you actually mean . . . .
xbacksideslider
Second Gear

Postby Tetge » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:50 am

I warned Jaun not to procrastinate, and, he did not heed me. So now, he thinks that the gopher left his sweet, verdant, front yard, and relocated to the back yard? This is a riot. The front yard gopher is currently quietly nursing her brood of 7 infant gophers, as things get slow and cold in the winter, so gophers tend to chill, almost like bears, and they reappear really hungry in the Spring. The backyard gopher is a newbie, settling into a vacant piece of land, since gopher populations swell very quickly, them being rodents and all.

Them that thinks fondly of gophers, no doubt also thinks that rats and ground squirrels are cute critters. But, the truth is that procrastinating when it comes to pest control is never a good strategy. And, most pest control companies are not too interested in even trying to get rid of rodents, because it is not easy, especially if they are well established in an area.

But, it is not my lawn..........
Tetge
Fourth Gear

Postby xbacksideslider » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:37 pm

Juan, get one of those oxy/acetylene/piezo sparker dealios.
Your wife will bless it because "it's for the house."
xbacksideslider
Second Gear

Previous

Return to Sports