Just to Piss Tetge Off

Re: Just to Piss Tetge Off

Postby 03_SONIC_BLUR » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:27 am

I should have noted that the speed terst is in megabits, while my throughput as displayed in my news reader client is in megabytes. So, multiply by 1024 to convert
03_SONIC_BLUR
First Gear

Postby jhwalker » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:50 pm

03_SONIC_BLUR wrote:I should have noted that the speed terst is in megabits, while my throughput as displayed in my news reader client is in megabytes. So, multiply by 1024 to convert

Back in the day, a byte was 8 bits (except for Sperry Univac which had 9 bit bytes) so we converted megabytes to megabits by multiplying by 8 :whistle:

(guess who is REALLY bored today...)
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Postby Tetge » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:01 pm

jhwalker wrote:
03_SONIC_BLUR wrote:I should have noted that the speed terst is in megabits, while my throughput as displayed in my news reader client is in megabytes. So, multiply by 1024 to convert

Back in the day, a byte was 8 bits (except for Sperry Univac which had 9 bit bytes) so we converted megabytes to megabits by multiplying by 8 :whistle:

A byte is still a byte, but, as it says on the HD packaging, they use 1000 as the multiplier which throws the actual size off, but, which sounds better. Sort of like the 5.0's are not really 5.0.
Tetge
Fourth Gear

Postby jhwalker » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:43 am

Tetge wrote:
jhwalker wrote:

A byte is still a byte, but, as it says on the HD packaging, they use 1000 as the multiplier which throws the actual size off, but, which sounds better. Sort of like the 5.0's are not really 5.0.

Who is "they"? Someone forgot to tell all of the bit to byte conversion software on the web? :think:
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Previous

Return to Tech & Science