Sad day for Top Gear (UK) fans

Sad day for Top Gear (UK) fans

Postby SonicVenum » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:39 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/statem ... -statement

I'm really bummed about this. Sure, what he did was wrong, but I'll still miss the show. It looks like James May will not continue without him, I don't know about Richard Hammond. I think the best result would be for the trio to get picked up by another network, and continue on with a very similar show. I'm not sure how the property rights work for the show. I think the BBC owns the show, but I don't know if they own the rights to the Top Gear Test Track, and to "The Stig." I'm sure the track can be replicated elsewhere pretty easily, and putting a secret test driver in a race suit is easy enough, though the iconic name would be missed.

This all came as such a shock. At first I thought it was just a prank, but it seems to be legit. :(
SonicVenum
Second Gear

Re: Sad day for Top Gear (UK) fans

Postby Brakelate » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:54 am

I totally agree. I had just finished (and thoroughly enjoyed) watching -finally- two new episodes "Ultimate Road Trip II" the last two nights, and again even spoke with my son who was with me about how well the show is put together. The Chemistry, interaction between the varied personality types, the amazing quality of the production, and location shots is amazing. And all of that, without them even getting behind the wheel of any of the amazing cars at even more amazing locations, tracks, etc is just absolutely Top Notch.

Then, I awoke and saw the news this morning, after some grumbling reports earlier in the week. That is horrible!

I wonder what set him off????

Regardless, sad day indeed. :(
Brakelate
Third Gear

Postby SonicVenum » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:43 pm

In my opinion, no one can produce a car video like Top Gear can. They had some amazing segments reviewing cars. On top of the awesome production value, their films had a fresh approach to the review, especially Jeremy. No other show comes close.

From what I've read, they had a long day of filming, and Jeremy took umbrage with the lack of hot food served at the end of the day. Somehow, this turned into him berating the producer in question until it escalated to Jeremy punching the guy in the mouth. The producer ended up going to the hospital with a bleeding and swollen lip. Interestingly, the producer didn't report Clarkson. Clarkson did it himself. The BBC basically said their hands were tied, and he couldn't be allowed to continue working for them after his actions. He's an idiot for what he did, but I'll miss that idiot, and hope he finds a new home on my "airwaves" ASAP.
SonicVenum
Second Gear

Postby Tetge » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:14 pm

I too love the show, but, when I stopped to consider what it said in the report that BBC provided, I had to admit that if anyone where I worked had struck another employee, it would have been cause for dismissal. Basically there were only a few things that one could do that no one could defend them for and striking other was one of them, along with proved stealing, and falsifying sick leave (I witnessed idiots getting fired for claiming to have seen a doctor when they didn't). Insubordination was also risky, but arguments could be made to attempt to down play failure to follow orders. In the case of striking someone, with witnesses, there could be no effective argument.

So, I understand why BBC said that they had to enforce the rules no matter how big a star they were dealing with. And, of course, he is not innocent of having made other remarks and stuff. Personally, I never cared since it was a great show, and I will miss it.
Tetge
Fourth Gear

Postby SonicVenum » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:40 am

It seems many Top Gear fans agree that the BBC did what was necessary, so they don't fault them there. Jeremy has definitely said many crude, and politically incorrect things, but to many of us, I think that was part of the charm. He poked fun at everyone, though, so at least he was an equal opportunity offender. Haha.
SonicVenum
Second Gear

Postby jhwalker » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:32 pm

I was not a fan. :lol: Maybe I always resented that he got to drive all of those great cars. But he WAS a character. And he will move on.

As a guy who too often flirted with being fired for stupid behavior (As the manager, I was banned from the data center where our work was processed for year, and I was put on "probation" for a while after holding a consultant whom I felt had screwed us out of a 2nd story window while negotiating on some matters, and had a couple of other events when young that involved the police), I drew the line at punching folks out. :lol:

Jeremy will be fine. His net worth is north of $50 million. He will probably make more at his next job than the measly $800K + at Top Gear.
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Postby 03_SONIC_BLUR » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:37 am

There is some speculation that all three, whose contracts have all expired this year, will start a rival show on a rival network like Murdoch's SkyTV. I hope they do
03_SONIC_BLUR
First Gear

Postby SonicVenum » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:01 pm

Yup, that's the hope. May stated in an interview with reporters outside his front door that the three of them are a "package." Any replacements they try to plug into the show will likely flounder.
SonicVenum
Second Gear

Postby Tetge » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:58 pm

I found a site with some best top gear moments and I stayed up late watching them. I got some good laughs in places as they were both funny and entertaining. It seems unlikely that any other cast could duplicate the feel of these clips: http://news.boldride.com/2015/03/jeremy ... nts/74099/
Tetge
Fourth Gear

Postby jhwalker » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:09 pm

I'll start watching rat now. :-D
jhwalker
Fourth Gear

Next

Return to Television Shows