Need a cheap video road racing setup for practice

These forums are for automotive and related discussions not classified in sections below.
Tetge
Fourth Gear

Re: Need a cheap video road racing setup for practice

Post by Tetge »

Chad-1stgen wrote:
Tetge wrote:But, if you really agreed with me, you'd lose that Chevy and get a proper car (eg a Ford).
I tried. I'm still heart broken and depressed that i missed the counter offer by 10 minutes last Thursday on a 67 Mustang fully dedicated track car / race car. Best deal I've seen for such a car ever and I let it slip away. Apparently, I'm not meant to own a Ford.
I ordered a new British Racing Green, 1967, 390 GTA fastback Mustang, as my second new car. I got it stripped without even power steering, let alone a/c, for the express purpose of drag racing it. I trophied in C stock automatic for weeks at the long gone San Fernando drag strip, but it was disappointing since its best ET as 15.00 @ 97, and I had a slew of almost identical 15 sec passes. The 14's eluded me. But, later in 1967 I got my first street motorcycle, a new 1967 350 Yamaha twin, and I lost my interest in big heavy tire shredding, no brakes or handling to speak of, muscle cars.

I am sure that a dedicated 1967 track car Mustang would have almost nothing in common with the production vehicles, as they really didn't handle very well, even in 1967 on sticky for the time Firestone Wide Ovals (which lasted about 2500 miles).

As for James? Anyone who can remember those 427 Cobras back in the day, sideways at any speed, can wonder if even a totally healthy person with super reflexes could drive a 600+ HP car such as James' and survive to tell the tale? They are not known for forgiving behavior.

jhwalker
Fifth Gear

Post by jhwalker »

:lol: more separated at birth schtuff ... I tried to order a green '67 Mustang but couldn't come up with the down payment to make to monthly work.
Back in the "no pot to piss in years "In Tallahassee Fla. Drove back home in my '66 VW 1200 :oops:

Tetge
Fourth Gear

Post by Tetge »

jhwalker wrote::lol: more separated at birth schtuff ... I tried to order a green '67 Mustang but couldn't come up with the down payment to make to monthly work.
Back in the "no pot to piss in years "In Tallahassee Fla. Drove back home in my '66 VW 1200 :oops:
I had to borrow some money, short term, from an aunt, as Ford delivered the car earlier than expected and I did not have the agreed upon down payment saved up. In fact, the 390 GTA served as an early lesson in just how expensive a muscle car really was, and, I finally sold it due to economic pressure. But, by then I was hooked on motorcycles, and, I did not grieve over the Mustang. However, when I could finally afford another Mustang, and the GT's finally got a nice, for the time, fuel injected 302 from the Lincoln, I got a new 1988 GT, and I have basically had Mustangs since then.

jhwalker
Fifth Gear

Post by jhwalker »

I was re-reading this morning and realized that I missed ", and I also get motion sickness when I play the game. Funny, I can watch someone else play the game and I am fine, but, if I try to drive, after a short while, I have to stop as I get sea sick big time." considering my motion sickness issues,
this could be a stopper, although I get less sick since the strokes. :whistle:

SVTRonDogg
First Gear

Post by SVTRonDogg »

For realistic PC simulators look into these two

http://www.assettocorsa.net/en/

http://www.iracing.com
Cobra
GT500
Focus ST

jhwalker
Fifth Gear

Post by jhwalker »

The Logitech wheel is taking a pounding on Anazon ---support yaking even a worse pounding. :P

SVTRonDogg
First Gear

Post by SVTRonDogg »

jhwalker wrote:The Logitech wheel is taking a pounding on Anazon ---support yaking even a worse pounding. :P
Check out Thrustmaster

http://www.iracing.com/membership/system-requirements/
Cobra
GT500
Focus ST

jhwalker
Fifth Gear

Post by jhwalker »

Plane tickets are bought, rooms are reserved, my car underwent a pretty thorough pre-event inspection at the track last week. Next Friday (the 13th :lol:) I am scheduled for another in-depth vision test and another brain scan before we head to Hastings on the 16th. Looking forward to seeing car friends, but have low expections for driving at the track. Too many things are still not working well :evil: . The owner of the track says that for liability reasons he has to see me drive a couple of laps before I can be on the track with other cars. And that is before he sees me come shuffling in. Makes sense to me. :whistle:
This is week 13 or 14 since the strokes. Time seemed to go slowly, but this date came quickly. Just for the record, no death wish. :whistle:
Life is good, just different. :-D

Return to “General Automotive Discussions”