2015 Willow Springs Drags

Here is the place to discuss, announce or advertise local car events or road trips/meetups.
Tetge
Fourth Gear

Re: 2015 Willow Springs Drags

Post by Tetge »

jhwalker wrote:.....So I have to watch youtube vids speeded up? They run fine, no pauses. I think you guys have issues (technical issues) that I don't have. Maybe a Mexican 2mb functions like a Palmdale 12 mb... My windows updates are instantaneous...
I used to have dial up, and not even the fast dial up. So, I decided that speed was good when it became available. But, for the most part it is like having a Hayabusa and discovering that you never really can use the speed in the real world, as it seems to make little difference. Funny about your Windows updates, as some of the files are to big to be instantaneous, but perhaps Mexican Windows is different too?

In truth the only thing that I would like to be faster is my upload speed, but, this is not happening due to the cap on it.

jhwalker
Fifth Gear

Post by jhwalker »

I sit and watch the updates. The big ones, 1, 2, 3, 4, and so on. But I have so many other things to do that usually I just step aside and clear some crap from my never-ending TODO list. The Ducati manual download "seemed" to take a couple of seconds. Maybe my expectations have been lowered. Seriously I don't know. Video Skype runs great. I do most of my calls via Skype, because it works and is damned near free.

So maybe my life would be different with 12mb down. But everything seems to run real-time with 2 down. Terri does most of her business conferences over the phone, and mostly Skype. ??? I am "working" downstairs, she is really working upstairs. So we don't need more than 2 mb down. As weird as it sounds.

But my life is pretty simple. :whistle:

03_SONIC_BLUR
First Gear

Post by 03_SONIC_BLUR »

Your Windows updates are queued and downloaded ahead of time. The download speed shown in my screen shot shows progress while I was downloading a movie 3.4 Gigabytes in size in under 4 minutes. The 22 Megabytes throughput is a measurement of real file chunks being transmitted. The carrier speed on my line is now 250 Megabits. A Megabyte is 1/8th of a Megabit

Having this kind of speed means my Netflix can come across at the highest resolution and that when I fast forward I do not have to wait forever for the stream to buffer

And, speed for speeds sake is always a justification

jhwalker
Fifth Gear

Post by jhwalker »

03_SONIC_BLUR wrote:Your Windows updates are queued and downloaded ahead of time. The download speed shown in my screen shot shows progress while I was downloading a movie 3.4 Gigabytes in size in under 4 minutes. The 22 Megabytes throughput is a measurement of real file chunks being transmitted. The carrier speed on my line is now 250 Megabits. A Megabyte is 1/8th of a Megabit

Having this kind of speed means my Netflix can come across at the highest resolution and that when I fast forward I do not have to wait forever for the stream to buffer

And, speed for speeds sake is always a justification
We will probably try Netflix in my next phase of life. Maybe the 80-89 year phase. Supposedly we have a faster speed available but nothing in the dialog has swayed me. Different strokes. :-D

Life is good. Spent 4 hours on Adam's mountain bike yesterday roaming in and around Wellington and Ft. Collins and survived. It is WET here. Trails are closed due to high water levels everywhere :-D
I have a couple of hours of TT matches scheduled this afternoon and Adam has assigned me some wire-crimping work on the SPF this morning. (he decided to clean up some wiring done by another mechanic) We still hope to fire it up with the new blower before we leave for Pikes Peak tomorrow night. I am not as confident as I was a couple of days ago. It is hard to ignore the grandkid.

Tetge
Fourth Gear

Post by Tetge »

See? I knew that S-Blu could explain it. But, of course, I can't get cable or fiber optic stuff out in the wilds, so more speed is not an issue that I can do anything about. Like the price of gasoline, it is what it is.

The real questions whether or not I should go to the Willow Drags? I am not real motivated since it is so easy to run there and there seldom are any good side by side races for me. And, even if I get a good race and win, I feel as if I am cheating, since a chimp could drive my 5.0 starting off in full auto mode, nannies off, and letting the car bang 1->2 and 2->3. The only thing that takes any skill at all is trying to get a good RT off the one bulb staging system, which still uses .500 as perfect. And, I never was into perfecting my RT.

So, I need to have motivation. Too bad there is not some vintage SVT Cobra to shame as that is always fun. Those guys are always bragging about their 500 RWHP and massive torque. So beating them with a basically stock, weak little grocery getter, 5.0, is sort of fun. But, I don't even know if any of those cars still exist or if any of them ever go near any kind of drag strip. I think that the few remaining ones are in the collections of old men with money who never actually drive their cars. I mean, the Terminators had their day in the sun, but as with the drag strips that they frequented, that day is over.

03_SONIC_BLUR
First Gear

Post by 03_SONIC_BLUR »

I remember bitching about LACR and Carlsbad. Then I went to Ohio, and when I returned, they were gone. Now, I can only bitch about the fact that they are gone, and Willow is what is left

jhwalker
Fifth Gear

Post by jhwalker »

Tetge wrote:
jhwalker wrote:.....So I have to watch youtube vids speeded up? They run fine, no pauses. I think you guys have issues (technical issues) that I don't have. Maybe a Mexican 2mb functions like a Palmdale 12 mb... My windows updates are instantaneous...
I used to have dial up, and not even the fast dial up. So, I decided that speed was good when it became available. But, for the most part it is like having a Hayabusa and discovering that you never really can use the speed in the real world, as it seems to make little difference. Funny about your Windows updates, as some of the files are to big to be instantaneous, but perhaps Mexican Windows is different too?

In truth the only thing that I would like to be faster is my upload speed, but, this is not happening due to the cap on it.

What have you uploaded that takes time (that you are not sending me a link to)? :think:

Tetge
Fourth Gear

Post by Tetge »

jhwalker wrote:...What have you uploaded that takes time (that you are not sending me a link to.....
I upload Gin, for one. Margaritas now and then. But, I always end up having to do a manual upload, so a link wouldn't actually be of any use to you.

03_SONIC_BLUR
First Gear

Post by 03_SONIC_BLUR »

Tetge wrote:
jhwalker wrote:...What have you uploaded that takes time (that you are not sending me a link to.....
I upload Gin, for one. Margaritas now and then. But, I always end up having to do a manual upload, so a link wouldn't actually be of any use to you.
The person who invents the app that downloads booze to Tetge's house will break the internet and make a fortune

jhwalker
Fifth Gear

Post by jhwalker »

03_SONIC_BLUR wrote:
Tetge wrote:
The person who invents the app that downloads booze to Tetge's house will break the internet and make a fortune
Seems like some got downloaded a little early today. :whistle:

Return to “Local Events and Road Trips”